A SENIOR Indian cricket official said on Friday that next week's second Test between Australia and India would not be shifted from Hyderabad despite the southern city being rocked by bombings that killed at least 13 people and injured more than 100.
At least two blasts occurred in a crowded area outside a movie theatre and a bus station in the suburb of Dilsukh Nagar from about 7pm on Thursday.
Hyderabad's Rajiv Gandhi Stadium is due to host the second of four Tests in the Border-Gavaskar Trophy series. It is scheduled to begin on March 2 and Michael Clarke's squad will arrive in the city next Wednesday after the conclusion of the first Test in Chennai.
Rajeev Shukla, a senior Board of Control for Cricket in India figure who is also chairman of the Indian Premier League, said there was no reason to move the Test. ''After the BCCI president spoke to me, I spoke to union home secretary, who was in Hyderabad and had discussion with the chief minister and officials of state government. After that he appraised me that adequate security will be provided to the players as well as the spectators. So Test match should not be shifted out of Hyderabad,'' Shukla said.
He said the competing countries' respective chairmen, N Srinivasan and Wally Edwards, were to speak on Friday afternoon to confirm the situation.
Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said team manager Gavin Dovey had sent players text messages on Thursday night updating them on the situation and the increased security presence that has been added after the explosions.
On Friday morning, dozens of extra police surrounded the Chennai hotel where the Australian and Indian teams are staying.
"We don't hold anything back from the players, they know where everything is up to," Sutherland said. ''But at the same time they have expressed a desire to be focused and minimise this so that they can focus on cricket this week.
''As far as I'm concerned, we are playing the second Test in Hyderabad next week. That's where we are at. We've got great confidence in the BCCI and the relevant authorities here to be able to prepare as best as possible for whatever issues may change from day to day. We're very comfortable with everything that has been done so far on this tour.''
Australian captain Clarke said: ''Our focus is wholly and solely on the field because we've got people off the field who are experts in what is going on, we'll be advised by them. Our thoughts and prayers are with all the people of Hyderabad who have been affected.''