Strike bowler: Mitchell Johnson. Photo: Getty Images
Australian fast bowler Mitchell Johnson could be ruled out of the World Twenty20 tournament in Bangladesh after developing a toe infection.
Cricket Australia say a final decision is yet to be made on Johnson's availability but his departure to Bangladesh may be delayed.
Johnson is receiving treatment in Perth on an infection which has developed from a cut on his right big toe following the third Test against South Africa in Cape Town which finished last week.
News Corp are reporting that the infection is severe and Johnson has already been ruled out of the tournament and could miss up to a month of action.
CA's chief medical officer says the 32-year-old will continue to be monitored over the coming days.
"Mitch has been home in Perth recovering from the Test series against South Africa but has developed an infection as a result of a cut he had on his right big toe after the third Test," said associate professor, Justin Paoloni.
"He is receiving treatment but his departure to Bangladesh for the ICC World T20 may be delayed until we are happy that the infection has resolved and his toe fully recovered."
Johnson is not with the T20 squad at the moment after being sent home to Australia to rest following the Test series against South Africa.
At this stage he is due to fly out of Perth on Sunday and rejoin his teammates in Bangladesh.
George Bailey's side are sky-high on confidence after smashing England in the summer and beating South Africa in a thrilling finish in a World T20 warm-up match in Durban on Thursday morning (AEDT).
However, losing the world's most devastating fast bowler would come as a major blow on the eve of a tournament Australia has never won.
It's been an arduous few months for Johnson, who spearheaded Australia's 5-0 Ashes whitewash of England and then the 2-1 victory over the Proteas in South Africa.
The infection has reportedly come from blisters that have developed on Johnson's front-landing foot.