Canberra's Jason Floros could return to first class cricket following the axing of Nathan Hauritz. Photo: Getty Images
Canberra product Jason Floros believes Nathan Hauritz ''didn't deserve'' his axing from Queensland's squad, but knows it opens up a chance for him to break back into first-class cricket.
Former Test tweaker Hauritz was a shock omission when the Bulls announced its player contract list for the 2014-15 summer on Tuesday.
Hauritz has been leapfrogged by promising leg spinner Cameron Boyce, and all-rounder Floros is the only other spinner included in the squad.
The 23-year-old has entrenched himself in Queensland's one-day line-up, but played the last of his four first class matches in March 2012.
While he feels for Hauritz, he's hopeful of ending that drought.
"It was pretty big news about Nath, a lot of the boys probably didn't think he deserved it, but it's the way professional sport is and you can't foresee these things,'' he said.
"We're all pretty good mates up here and we feel each other's pain, having won a couple of [Ryobi Cup] trophies with him makes it ping a bit more as well.
"On the flipside it does open up a bit of an opportunity for me, but you have to put the numbers on the board to get it.
"You never know what the selectors are thinking and it's always in the back of your mind when you're on a one-year contract it could be your last.''
Floros is keen to break into four-day cricket through his batting, but his off-spinners could help him at the selection table when Boyce plays for Australia A later this year.
"I'm trying to ply my trade more as a batsman than a spinner,'' Floros said.
Batsmen Alex Kemp, Dom Michael and Greg Moller and paceman Matthew Gale were also not offered full contracts.
Big-hitting Luke Pomersbach was also not considered after he stood down from all cricket as part of his battle with mental health issues.
Queensland selector Trevor Hohns insisted the door had not been slammed shut on Hauritz, considered a chance of playing limited overs cricket for the Bulls next summer.
"Nathan had his season curtailed by injury, and during that time Cam Boyce made some strong inroads as our first-choice spinner," Hohns said.
"The national selection panel has shown their interest in progressing Cam's career with his selection in the Australia A squad for later in the year, and as a young wrist spinner, we're obviously keen to continue to provide him with further opportunities to develop.
"In saying that, Nathan will certainly be in contention to be selected from outside the squad for the coming season, like any other player in the [Brisbane] Premier Grade competition, based on their performances."
Batsmen Usman Khawaja and Peter Forrest, Queensland's leading run-scorer last season, were among 11 players who accepted multi-year contracts.
Batsman Nick Stevens, quick Mark Steketee and keeper James Peirson – all former national youth players – received full contracts.
Several of Queensland's rookie contracted players featured in last year's Australian Under-19 World Cup squad – allrounder James Bazley, wicketkeeper Ben McDermott, batsman Matthew Renshaw and paceman Billy Stanlake.
Bulls 2014-15 squad: Cameron Boyce, Nick Buchanan, Joe Burns, Ben Cutting, Luke Feldman, Jason Floros, Peter Forrest, Cameron Gannon, Ryan Harris (Cricket Australia contract), Chris Hartley, James Hopes, Usman Khawaja, Chris Lynn, Alister McDermott, Michael Neser, James Peirson, Nathan Reardon, Mark Steketee, Nick Stevens. Rookies: James Bazley, Ben McDermott, Ronan McDonald, Matthew Renshaw, Billy Stanlake, Jack Wildermuth.
- With AAP