Seinfeld actor apologises for 'gay' cricket remark

Jason Alexander delivers a leg break on the Late Late Show.

Jason Alexander delivers a leg break on the Late Late Show. Photo: Late Late Show/CBS/YouTube

Actor Jason Alexander has apologised for joking during a TV talk show that he considers cricket to be a "gay" sport.

Watch the segment: click here (Alexander's cricket statements come about five minutes in.)

In a blog post, the former Seinfeld star explained on Sunday what led to his remark on CBS's Late Late Show on Friday.

Jerry Seinfeld and gang in "Seinfeld"

Jerry Seinfeld and gang in "Seinfeld"

Read the full blog piece: click here.

He wrote that, at first, he did not grasp why some might object to the comment, but that subsequent conversations with his gay friends led him to realise his insensitivity.

Alexander's remarks came when he told CBS host Craig Ferguson that aspects of cricket made it a "gay game" compared with other sports.

The actor's 1000-word-plus "message of amends" said that the joking remark played into "hurtful assumptions and diminishments" about people.

He also wrote that, as an actor with many gay friends, he "should know better".

Alexander said previous routines about sport in Australia, in which he used similar terms, had been well received.

"Years ago, I was hosting comics in a touring show in Australia and one of the bits I did was talking about their sports versus American sports. I joked about how their rugby football made our football pale by comparison because it is a brutal, no-holds-barred sport played virtually without any pads, helmets or protection.

"And then I followed that with a bit about how, by comparison, their other big sport of cricket seemed so delicate and I used the phrase, 'a bit gay'. Well, it was all a laugh in Australia where it was seen as a joke about how little I understood cricket, which in fact is a very, very athletic sport.

"When Craig mentioned cricket I thought, 'Oh, goody – I have a comic bit about cricket I can do. Won't that be entertaining?'

"And so I did a chunk of this old routine and again referred to cricket as kind of 'gay' – talking about the all white uniforms that never seem to get soiled; the break they take for tea time with a formal tea cart rolled on to the field, etc. I also did an exaggerated demonstration of the rather unusual way they pitch the cricket ball, which is very dance-like with a rather unusual and exaggerated arm gesture.

"Again, the routine seemed to play very well and I thought it had been a good appearance."

Alexander then went on to say that some of his Twitter followers made him aware that they were both gay and offended by the jokes.

"But as we explored it, we began to realise what was implied under the humour," Alexander wrote.

"I was basing my use of the word 'gay' on the silly generalisation that real men don't do gentle, refined things and that my portrayal of the cricket pitch was pointedly effeminate, thereby suggesting that effeminate and gay were synonymous."

AP with Will Brodie

• Hey, George, the Jerk Store called.........

uumlautstrohson
    this line will have done to the death by the end of today........
    June 04, 2012, 9:38AM
    • Cantstandya!

CricketMakesmeHappy
      June 04, 2012, 10:31AM
    • You win the internet!

And you know what? This really sticks in my craw.

uneducated opinion
      June 04, 2012, 12:26PM
    • i think you'll find i already one the internet only a few weeks ago.

ohmybob
      June 04, 2012, 12:51PM
    • .
      Cricket IS Gay as are most of the people who play, with the exception of The Australian Fast Bowler!
      Bob Down even stopped wearing white slacks and started wearing a Safari Suit so as not to be mistaken for a cricketer!

Back To The Pavillion!
      June 04, 2012, 1:56PM
    • Gammy's gettin' upset!!!!

Kruger
      June 04, 2012, 3:11PM
    • The poll results show common sense and how oversensitive our media is to issues of political correctness. Most people are able to see the harmlessness in what he was saying. When will we lighten up on each other?

Novacastrian
      June 04, 2012, 3:44PM
    • i'm in a quandary here ... is cricket a game for gays or breeders?

larry david
      stanmore
      June 04, 2012, 4:08PM
  • I really don't see what the issue is

My uncle is gay and he always has his friend over for Christmas lunch ever since I can remember, and I know if I were gay I would own it, and understand jokes and remarks happen to every part of the community not just mine. Get over it, and get on with your life, this is not news. At all.

I don't even know why I spent 5minutes of my life writing this comment.

mikerochiii
    June 04, 2012, 9:40AM
    • With all due respect, you can't possibly make a comment about how you'd react if you were gay. It's one thing to be completely "okay" with someone else being gay, but you can't say "if I were gay I would own it", because you don't know what it's like to be gay and to be discriminated against, vilified or made fun of because of your sexual orientation.

That being said, I think the back-lash in relation to Jason's routine is a bit over the top. His joke was that cricket is a genteel, effeminate sport, and I see the humour in that. It's not the same as the propensity for kids to say "that's so gay" when they're being dismissive of something or saying that something is boring / wrong / uncool etc. The latter is the kind of demonising of the word 'gay' that is being objected by the community.

Oh, and yes I'm gay AND a cricket fan.

Tracey
      June 04, 2012, 10:07AM

Related Coverage

Win an iPad mini by entering our Sport survey