Lance Armstrong: I'm still Tour de France winner

"I feel that I won the races" ... Lance Armstrong

"I feel that I won the races" ... Lance Armstrong

Armstrong fails to block bonuses challenge

Lance Armstrong, in a rare interview, says he still considers himself a Tour de France champion despite his spectacular fall from grace for using performance-enhancing drugs.

Armstrong - stripped of his record seven Tour titles - told Outside magazine he thinks his fellow competitors would agree he genuinely won cycling's greatest event.

"Yes, I feel that I won the races," he said in what Outside billed as his first public appearance since his January 2013 doping confession to talk show diva Oprah Winfrey following years of denials.

"I know that is not a popular answer, but the reality is that ... it was just a messy time," he said, referring to widespread doping in cycling.

"It was basically an arms race, and we all played ball that way."

He added it would be "a mistake, and it would be disrespectful to the sport, to leave seven years empty" and fail to recognise a Tour winner between 1999 and 2005.

"If I didn't win, then somebody needs to win," he said.

"Of course I'm going to say I won - but ask the guys (fellow Tour de France competitors) that went and suffered with you and ask them, 'Did he win?' I think I know what they'd say."

Banned from racing and no longer associated with the Livestrong cancer charity he founded, Armstrong said he still rides "occasionally" but runs "more than anything" in order to keep fit.

As for what his legacy will be, he said: "I don't know. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about that ... Honestly, I have no idea what the future holds."

Outside posted the interview - conducted earlier this month - late Wednesday on its www.outsideonline.com website, alongside a how-to video in which Armstrong shows the correct way to change a bike's tyre tube.

AFP

• Huh? Heard about 'hyperviscosity' and the risks of cardiovascualar catastrophe? Proud of the fact that he became the poster boy for performance enhancing?

He is deluding himself if he thinks he's won anything. Over the line first...OK. Physical courage...sure. A man who got sucked into the vortex of that sport doing it wrong...absolutely.

Read a book on MORAL COURAGE Lance...there's such a big difference between coming first and winning.

You're no Mike Hailwood MBE GM. The moral courage he displayed earnt him his George Cross and made him the winner he was.

MattG
    April 25, 2014, 8:55AM
    • I hear Essendon is looking for a new 'performance manager' . Lance you might still get a job.

Whatever it takes!

Essendrug
      April 25, 2014, 9:53AM
    • If you think all the other cyclists were clean, then you are as delusional as all the do gooders.

Runner, Kayaker and Driver.
      April 25, 2014, 10:21AM
    • Unrepentant. Plain and simple: he's a loser.

l russell
      April 25, 2014, 10:21AM
    • All the competitors were taking drugs so they were all on a level playing field and Armstrong won.

olivia
      sydney
      April 25, 2014, 10:30AM
    • No Olivia, if everybody is on PEDs it does not make it even. It just mean then man with the best chemist wins.

rayj
      April 25, 2014, 11:13AM
    • Olivia, you might believe that and it might be true - but it is not a proven fact. Armstrong is a loser.

luka
      April 25, 2014, 11:25AM
    • how about in future when this blokes speaks again, you don't report it SMH?

Martin
      April 25, 2014, 11:44AM
    • Runner, Kayaker and Driver.

Is a "do gooder" someone who doesn't take performance enhancing drugs or believes competing with them is cheating the system? Someone whose lies don't ruin others lives for his own personal gain's over a long period of time, and then acts the victim when he is finally caught and on and on i can go..........

A good honest person not a delusional person! Well put me down as a "do gooder" then.

get real
      sydney
      April 25, 2014, 12:18PM
    • He's right...he's the best cheat among cheats. Nothing to be proud of, though.

Jim