Professional cyclists in punch-up after collision in Volta a Portugal

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Video will begin in 5 seconds.

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Cyclist in Tour of Portugal punch-up

Italian rider Enrico Ross and Vicente de Mateus from Spain came to blows after both crashed in the race to the finish line in stage six of the Volta a Portugal.

PT0M0S 620 349

Cycling and boxing seem an odd mix, but these two professional cyclists traded some decent blows after a tangle during the Volta a Portugal race.

With temperatures soaring on the 155-kilometre stage from Oliveira do Bairro to Viseu, tensions became heated between Vicente de Mateus from Spain and Italian Enrico Rossi after crashing on a roundabout near the end of the stage.

The action was captured by a helicopter filming the race and showed Rossi lashing out before De Mateus got a decent response in.

"I was going over the line and then he ran into me, so we overturned. Then he stood and shouted at me so I hit him," Rossi told Danish TV channel TV2.

Rossi's team boss, Bo Hamburger, defended his rider: "The adrenaline was running high and they collided at high speed. If you put yourself in his position then you can understand why he hit him."

Stuff.co.nz

• "........got a decent response in." Wouldn't have thought so. Very timid stuff!!!

EyesWide
    Melb
    August 07, 2014, 1:24PM
    • Pro road cyclists do resemble stick insects, but the dude was practically still clipped into his pedals and was straddling the bike at the very least.

Cleats are just difficult to walk in. I wouldn't think they were designed to provide a solid base for right hook or uppercut.

Irons
      August 07, 2014, 2:44PM
    • Stick insects?

These are some of the strongest and most fit people on the entire Earth. I wouldn't lower the bar as far as calling them stick insects, majority of them are pretty muscly, especially the sprinters are not small at all. That's if you had half a clue about the sport of cycling.

I'm just glad they didn't start kicking each other. Besides having super strong legs, those cleats would be very very painful.

Great Sir Paul
      August 07, 2014, 3:55PM
    • Oh alright, expert. I know nothing.

I was referring to a pro cyclist's appearance, not their attributes.

Irons
      August 07, 2014, 4:30PM
    • Ummm, Great Sir Paul Know-It-All, if YOU had half a clue about the sport of cycling you would know that Mark Cavendish (a sprinter) weighs 69kg, and Alberto Contador (a climber) weighs 62kg. That is stick insects.

Jimbob
      August 07, 2014, 4:30PM
    • Come on - they have absurdly skinny arms (for weight-saving, I understand)- and thus, easily controllable wrists.... sure, their legs are strong, but only in a 15 degree arc - so they probs would not have the flexibility for even a half-decent kick to the knee/thigh...

And if the 'big sprinters' are 69kg, they are 'stick insects'....indeed!

Marky
      Beach
      August 07, 2014, 8:46PM
    • Re: all the stick insects comments.

This is abhorrently unfair comment towards the sport of cycling. Sure if you focus on the mountain specialists they are usually light weight but that's not to go saying it is the standard projection you should have on pro cyclists. Remember they have one of the lowest body fat to ratio than any other athlete so the remaining weight is all muscle.

Btw Mark Cavendish is a small guy, weighing in at 69-70kg is not that skinny considering he is a pro cyclist.

Miguel Indurain previous consecutive Tour winner Lance Armstrong days weighed in at 80kg.

One of my favourite cyclists, Fabian Cancellara is far from a stick insect. He is 82kg at peak and looks extremely strong.

The point I'm making is you do not have to be extreme light weight to be successful in the sport of cycling you have to be able to bring your body to the same level as these hill specialist, body fat and muscle to weight ratio. This makes these athletes extremely strong. I would dare they are very flexible, don't need any gym to be able to pick up their own body weight + more (strong backs) from being arched, sprinting and riding up mountains. Can do pullups easily without the need to train and have extreme strength in their legs. If you want to know the feeling of what it is being kicked by a horse, it would not be that different from a pro cyclist. With this in mind, pro cyclists are not trained to fight and such an event is extremely rare. A mans strength is exhibited in being able to outperform them on the road, endurance and strength not clenched fists which proved very little.

Great Sir Paul
      August 07, 2014, 11:35PM
    • What have I started............???

EyesWide
      Melb
      August 08, 2014, 10:22AM
  • My favourite new sport is 'chessboxing'.... for the Renaissance man.... but if this story is correct, and is a hint for another new sport called 'cycleboxing', I might just be interested.
    Race each other for 5 clicks or so, then don the gloves, get into the ring for 5 rounds.... last man standing, wins.

Machooka
    inner west sydney
    August 07, 2014, 1:38PM
    • it could be something like roller derby only in a velodrome on bikes instead of skates and a rink! I think this idea will get bums on seats.

eyeswideopen