Internationals to target Japan after Cup missesMichael Sharkie
Published: November 8 2012 - 1:17PM
AMERICAIN may have run his last race, but the jet-setting life of an international thoroughbred will continue for several of the beaten European runners in the Melbourne Cup, with the race set to launch the Japan Cup missions of three of yesterday's combatants.
The Luca Cumani stable confirmed that Melbourne Cup fifth placegetter Mount Athos would look to make amends for his luckless run at Flemington through the Japan Cup on November 25 as Cumani chases his second win in the race following Falbrav's successful raid in 2002. "Both of our horses [Mount Athos and My Quest For Peace] are in good order at this stage. We'll watch them over the next two days before we set their plans in concrete but at this stage Mount Athos will go for the Japan Cup and My Quest For Peace to Hong Kong," said Cumani stable foreman Charlie Henson.
Mount Athos will be joined by third-placed Jakkalberry in Japan as well as eighth placegetter Red Cadeaux after trainer Ed Dunlop made his plans clear this morning, following an early inspection of his chestnut stayer.
But there are no more races planned for Americain, who failed to fire on Tuesday with his big weight. His career — highlighted by his 2010 Melbourne Cup win — reaped earnings of almost $6 million.
Red Cadeaux looked bright and well this morning as he was trotted up off a lead in front of Dunlop. The trainer and his staff were quick to give the horse the all-clear and confirmed plans to send Red Cadeaux to Japan, where he will attempt to bag Dunlop's third Japanese group 1, following the back-to-back wins in the Queens Elizabeth II by champion mare Snow Fairy.
"He's come through it all well and is A-OK, hopefully we get the luck in Japan," said Dunlop.
Hong Kong is also an option for several of the Cup runners with Henson flagging a trip for My Quest For Peace before the horse returns to training in Australia. He will be aimed at the Hong Kong Vase.
Dunaden could also head in that direction after winning the race last year. But he will be monitored over the next three days before trainer Mikel Delzangles confirms a trip.
Two of the raiders that failed to gain a start in the Melbourne Cup, the Godolphin runner Lost In The Moment and Alain De Royer-Dupre's Shahwardi, are set to run in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Flemington on Saturday, while the third Cumani-trained stayer, Ibicenco, will wait another week before tackling the Sandown Cup.
This story was found at: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/horseracing/internationals-to-target-japan-after-cup-misses-20121107-28xkx.html