Racing NSW has vetoed a move by the Gosford Race Club to pre-emptively abandon Friday's Gosford Cup meeting over concerns the track is unsafe following this week's rain.
Gosford chief executive James Heddo sent an email to Racing NSW on Wednesday morning stating the club "wanted to be proactive" and move the three black-type races to its scheduled date on January 15.
Sport: The week's best plays
Jamie Whincup wins in Gold Coast
Devastating Lyon spell gives NSW Matador Cup
Awful crash mars Moto3
Gavrilova falls in Kremlin Cup final
West Ham steal win in stoppage time
Liverpool close in with West Brom win
Swansea can't break deadlock with Watford
Sport: The week's best plays
From watermelon lovers to monster sixes, these are the most exciting, silly and downright crazy plays in the sporting world this week.
"The track is under water in some places and we thought it would be better to let people know early that we couldn't race and allow them to plan for next week," Heddo said. "Racing NSW wanted to waited another day and see if things will improve."
The club also believes a wet track would effect turnover and wants to offer the best product to punters. Some trainers were supportive of the move but Gai Waterhouse disagreed with the club's move.
"We are too quick to call off meetings and there are some horses that are better on wet tracks, so why not give them a chance," Waterhouse said.
The Warwick Farm meeting was transferred from Wednesday to Thursday with the hope of not losing it, but will be subject to a track inspection on Thursday morning, while Gosford will have an inspection on Thursday afternoon.
"We want to give this [Gosford meeting] and every meeting every chance to be held as scheduled. The forecast is for clearing weather and you wouldn't want to see a sunny day and a safe track and have already called the meeting off a couple of days out," Racing NSW's Keith Bulloch said.
Australian Turf Club track manager Lindsay Murphy said Saturday's meeting at Canterbury could be run on a soft surface given the drainage of the track.
"It would be a heavy-9 if we raced [on Wednesday] and we could have raced. I would expect given we get the forecasted clearing weather it would be in the soft region by Saturday," he said.
The Gold Coast was also a heavy-9 on Wednesday but expected to improve quickly with a couple of days of sunshine forecast.
Punters looking to back Mahuta, the Magic Millions Guineas favourite, and dual group 1 winner Lucky Hussler, which is top pick the Magic Millions Cup, will hope the Darren Weir pair get out of Melbourne on Wednesday night.
"They cancelled the plane [on Tuesday], so they are stuck down there at the moment; they tell me there is another [on Wednesday], I'll just be happy to see them arrive," Weir said. "They are ready to go for Saturday.
"It is great up here, not that I have been buying horses, they are bit expensive for me, but hopefully we can have a good day on Saturday if the horses get here."
Mahuta went from a Kyneton maiden to a group 2 win in his four-start unbeaten streak. He won the Carbine Club Stakes and Sandown Guineas to close the Melbourne spring on a high.
"He hasn't been out of work, we just sent him down the beach and kept him in work, fresh and happy," Weir said. "We couldn't be happier with how he is going, but he has to get here."
Weir has been able to win a William Reid Stakes and the Toorak Handicap with Lucky Hussler in the past year and was always going to return home for the Magic Millions.
"We were able to give him a three-week spell after the spring and the owners were very keen to come up for this race," Weir said. "He is a horse that comes to hand very quickly."
Magic Millions Classic hopeful Sundance will have a gallop on Thursday to decide if it will run after a foot abscess was lanced.
The opening day of the Magic Millions sales was strong with the average around $180,000 and the top-priced lot going to Hong Kong's George Moore Bloodstock for $800,000 - a Exceed And Excel colt out of Common Smytzer, which is a brother to Maribyrnong Plate winner Exceedingly Good.
"He is a perfect horse for Hong Kong but will stay here to start with," Moore said. "We thought he was in the top three or four colts here and would probably bring $600,000 but we had to buy a bit of premium."