JavaScript disabled. Please enable JavaScript to use My News, My Clippings, My Comments and user settings.

If you have trouble accessing our login form below, you can go to our login page.

If you have trouble accessing our login form below, you can go to our login page.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone relieved at bribery trial deal

Date

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Video will begin in 5 seconds.

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Ecclestone trial stopped for $100 million

A German court has halted a bribery trial against Bernie Ecclestone in exchange for his paying a $100 million fee.

PT0M0S 620 349

LONDON: Bernie Ecclestone says he's relieved to be back running Formula One but feels "a bit of an idiot" after settling his bribery trial in Germany.

The 83-year-old F1 supremo was back at his desk in London hours after walking out of the court in Munich, his case brought to a premature end after the British billionaire arranged to make a $US100 million ($A108 million) payment.

"It's not easy trying to resolve things when you're dealing with lawyers": F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone.

"It's not easy trying to resolve things when you're dealing with lawyers": F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone. Photo: Getty Images

"The bottom line is it's been three-and-a-half years of aggravation, travelling, meeting lawyers, and God knows what else, so it is good it is out of the way," he told Britain's Press Association.

"This trial has been going on for two days a week and it was going to go on until October.

"When you're trying to run businesses it's not easy trying to resolve things when you're dealing with lawyers."

Ecclestone went on trial in April on charges of paying a $US44-million bribe to a Bavarian state bank executive for help in maintaining his four-decade grip on F1.

A settlement is allowed in German criminal cases if the prosecution, the aggrieved parties and the court agree.

News of the agreement drew angry condemnation of the "buy-out" legal proviso in Germany.

"In the end what has happened today is good and bad - the good is the judge more or less said I was acquitted, and they (the prosecution) really didn't have a case," Ecclestone said.

"So I was a bit of an idiot to do what I did to settle because it wasn't with the judge, it was with the prosecutors.

"Anyway, it's done and finished, so it's all right. I'm contented, it's all fine.

"This now allows me to do what I do best, which is running F1.

"Another three months out would have been bad. I've been working weekends to catch up with what I've been missing during the week.

"I've not really noticed, but it's probably taken its toll a little bit."

AFP

1 comment so far

  • One law for the rich and one for the rest of us

    $100 million - a drop in the ocean for Bernie

    Commenter
    allan
    Date and time
    August 06, 2014, 9:25AM

    Make a comment

    You are logged in as [Logout]

    All information entered below may be published.

    Error: Please enter your screen name.

    Error: Your Screen Name must be less than 255 characters.

    Error: Your Location must be less than 255 characters.

    Error: Please enter your comment.

    Error: Your Message must be less than 300 words.

    Post to

    You need to have read and accepted the Conditions of Use.

    Thank you

    Your comment has been submitted for approval.

    Comments are moderated and are generally published if they are on-topic and not abusive.

    Related Coverage

    Featured advertisers