Sebastian Vettel celebrates on the podium. Photo: Getty Images
Ferrari is considering whether to lodge a protest that could lead to the result of the formula one world championship being overturned.
British and Italian media reports said Ferrari is "evaluating footage" to see if it shows Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel making an illegal overtaking move in Sunday's Brazilian Grand Prix, where he finished sixth to clinch the title.
The German beat Ferrari's Fernando Alonso by three points to rack up his third straight drivers' title.
Not happy ... Fernando Alonso of Spain. Photo: Getty Images
Ferrari is analysing television footage from Vettel's on-board camera to determine if the 25-year-old overtook Toro Rosso's Jean-Eric Vergne in an illegal area of the track.
Vettel could be dropped to eighth if any protest is upheld and Alonso would be world champion by one point.
Spaniard Alonso tweeted cryptically on Tuesday: "I cannot perform miracles. I make miracles within the rules."
Ferrari insisted that Alonso, who was second at Interlagos, should have been the man celebrating a third career title, pointing to controversial races in Belgium and Japan to support their argument.
Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali said that Alonso paid a heavy price for first lap exits in Belgium and Japan where he was shunted out of contention by Lotus duo Romain Grosjean and Kimi Raikkonen respectively.
The Italian giant had been further aggrieved when Vettel, accused of blocking Alonso in qualifying in Japan before going on to win the race, escaped with just a reprimand.
"We are proud of Fernando," Domenicali told www.autosport.com. "But we are very disappointed because the one who deserved this championship was really him.
"It is a shame because, after such a long season that we really fight in all conditions, we raced 18 races and not 20 - and being second by three points is not a lot.
"Watch the facts. Zero points in two races (Belgium and Japan) so we have done what we have done with 18 races. The others had 20 - and the points were over 20 races. These are facts, not words."
Alonso, who was second behind Jenson Button of McLaren in the race, also insisted his campaign had been undermined at Spa and Suzuka.
"The championship was not lost here," said the two-time champion.
"The championship was lost when (Romain) Grosjean flew over my head (at Spa) or when Vettel surprisingly only got a reprimand after qualifying in Japan."
The FIA could decide to investigate even without a Ferrari protest.