Former Melbourne Storm prop Brett White says the minor premier will bounce back after its stunning preliminary final loss to the New Zealand Warriors.
White left the Storm and joined the Canberra Raiders in the wake of last year's salary cap scandal.
Despite being forced to make mass changes to its roster, the Storm was on track to qualify for its fourth grand final in five years before going down to the Warriors 20-12 at AAMI Park on Saturday night.
White was in contact with his former teammates, many of whom will get a short break before turning out for the Kangaroos for the upcoming Four Nations tour, shortly after full-time.
''I sent them a message last night, no doubt they're very disappointed and a little bit shattered,'' White said yesterday.
''I can understand how disappointed they'll be because I know how highly motivated they were and how hard they worked this year.
''It's motivation for next year and that'll probably be it.''
The Storm won 19 of 24 regular season games to take top spot and a clinical win against the Knights in the qualifying final guaranteed it home-ground advantage against the Warriors, who are fast becoming Melbourne's bogey side.
The Warriors beat the Storm both times the sides met in Melbourne this year.
The Raiders, who narrowly avoided the wooden spoon, were the only other team to win in Melbourne this season.
White said the Warriors had excelled in stifling the Storm of field position and making the most of their opportunities.
''You've got to go down there with every player fully committed to it,'' White said of beating the Storm at home. ''Hold the ball down their end and try and control the ball.
''That's why the Warriors were so good last night because they did that and there was a lot of kick pressure on [Cooper] Cronk so they could put it down the Warriors' end.''