Click here to submit your sports results for The Canberra Times

Clubs warned on flare-ups

Capital Football won't put on any security staff for tomorrow's grand final rematch but it has warned clubs they're responsible to keep their fans under control.

And Canberra FC will hope to put a rollercoaster week behind it with a similar result at Deakin tomorrow to its thrilling 8-5 victory over Canberra Olympic in last year's men's premier league decider - but without the controversy.

The final was marred by a post-match pitch invasion, the setting off of flares and abusive behaviour by a handful of fans. FC was originally fined $8500, placed on a $10,000 good-behaviour bond and had six premiership points deducted for 2012, but it was slashed to just a $2000 fine after the club appealed against Capital Football's decision.

Canberra FC has had an up-and-down week, starting with a 5-4 loss to arch-rival Belconnen United where a few unruly supporters abused coach Rob Graham.

Bizarrely, the incident happened at half-time, when FC was leading 3-1, and came on the back of a stellar season where Graham guided the team to all three trophies - the pre-season Federation Cup, the league championship and the grand final. The club said it had dealt with the abuse in-house and declined to comment further.

Capital Football chief executive Heather Reid said there was no need for security at tomorrow's game after the two teams met without incident in the Fed Cup semi-final, which FC won 2-0.

''We don't think that's necessary [employing security]. Canberra FC as the home club knows its responsibilities and they also know that they paid a fine last year. If there are any breaches in relation to spectator behaviour then they could cop a fine that is much more significant and the withdrawal of points,'' she said.Capital Football also took action against one of the main perpetrators of the misconduct last year, as he was a registered player, and suspended him. Meanwhile, Canberra FC will play NSW state league one team Southern Bulls in the third round of the Waratah Cup but will not find out when or where they play until Monday.