Kyrgios misses Open chance
Nick Kyrgios is still determined to chase his Australian Open dream in 2014. Photo: Tennis Australia
Canberra teenager Nick Kyrgios will focus on winning his first individual junior grand slam title after his chances of an Australian Open debut evaporated in the senior qualifying tournament in Melbourne on Wednesday.
The 17-year-old was beaten 6-3, 6-2 by American Bradley Klahn in the first round of qualifying, ending Kyrgios' dream of a grand slam debut at Melbourne next week.
Kyrgios has instead set his goal of winning the Australian Open junior championship, going into his home tournament as the second seed behind Italy's Gianluigi Quinzi.
Kyrgios won two junior grand slam titles last year in doubles, at the French Open and Wimbledon, but is desperate to claim an individual title this year and establish himself as the No.1 junior player in the world.
''They've announced all the main draw wildcards [for the Australian Open] so I'm just going to have to work hard, have another good year to try and get it [the senior debut] next year,'' Kyrgios said.
''I've been playing some good tennis, I've just got to make sure I keep working hard and make sure I keep improving and bringing the right mentality day-in and day-out and see how it goes.''
Kyrgios admitted he was nervous and lacked patience in his straight-sets loss to Klahn, a 22-year-old American who made the second round of the US Open last year and is ranked No.254 in the world.
''I obviously wasn't playing great, I was making too many errors. He took advantage of me when I got a bit negative,'' Kyrgios said. ''I was getting a bit nervous, over-hitting a bit. I got a bit of rhythm towards the end but he was obviously a bit too good.''
Kyrgios is also aiming to contest the main draw of the doubles at the Australian Open with Australia's Thanasi Kokkinakis.