JavaScript disabled. Please enable JavaScript to use My News, My Clippings, My Comments and user settings.

If you have trouble accessing our login form below, you can go to our login page.

If you have trouble accessing our login form below, you can go to our login page.

Life's grand for Kyrgios

Nick Kyrgios has been given a wildcard for the men's singles at Roland Garros.

Nick Kyrgios has been given a wildcard for the men's singles at Roland Garros. Photo: Colleen Petch

Bernard Tomic is yet to confirm he'll contest the French Open, but Canberra's Nick Kyrgios will make his professional grand slam debut on the clay of Roland Garros this weekend.

Kyrgios, who began the year by winning the Australian Open junior title and becoming the world's No.1 junior, has continued his stunning transition to the senior ranks by gaining a wildcard entry into the main draw of the French Open.

Kyrgios has won two senior titles this year and is ranked 264 in the world, having started the year at 838.

While Kyrgios' power game is better suited to the faster surfaces, Tennis ACT chief executive Ross Triffitt said the 18-year-old was capable of adapting.

Kyrgios won a junior doubles title at Roland Garros last year.

''It's very exciting, since January his senior ranking has been climbing significantly,'' Triffitt, who will be present in Paris, said. ''Clay is probably not his best surface but he's trained here at Lyneham [which has 16 European claycourts] throughout his development so he's not as far behind as some of the Aussies are on clay.

''He's got some weapons in his game. He's been in Europe for a little while now, training at Roland Garros, so now he's got a few extra days to work out on the clay.''

Meanwhile, there are still doubts over whether Tomic will play. While Tennis Australia officials are expecting to see Tomic in Paris, there has been no official word over whether he will front up for the season's second grand slam. With less than a week before the tournament begins on Sunday, Tomic's manager Fraser Wright could not confirm whether or not the 20-year-old would compete.

An announcement is expected in the next two days.

Tomic's appearance has been in doubt since his father and coach John Tomic indicated at a Madrid court last week he was unlikely to play.

He has not played since his father was charged over an alleged assault on Tomic's training partner Thomas Drouet at the ATP event in Madrid a fortnight ago.

The trial has been adjourned until October and John Tomic denies assault, saying he struck Drouet in self-defence.

Tomic Jr has opted to train at his Monte Carlo base rather than compete along with compatriots Lleyton Hewitt and Marinko Matosevic at the ATP event in Nice.

But Davis Cup coach Josh Eagle, who has offered to mentor Tomic while his father is barred from ATP events, expects to link up with him in Paris. ''It's grand slam tennis. Bernie would be jumping out of his skin to play any grand slam tournament regardless of what's happened,'' Eagle said

Hewitt and Matosevic both bowed out in the first round in Nice on Monday and will now turn their attention to Roland Garros.

Win an iPad mini by entering our Sport survey
Featured advertisers