Click Frenzy pulls in shoppers

Sarah Whyte and Rachel Wells

Zoom in on this story. Explore all there is to know.

Grant Arnott is hoping for a Click Frenzy.

Grant Arnott is hoping for a Click Frenzy.

The online shopping bonanza Click Frenzy is under way for a second year, but not without a few glitches.

Organiser Grant Arnott said the website had experienced over 381,000 clicks in the first hour. He is expecting 2 million shoppers to visit the website during the 24-hour sale and said before the sale began that the website was well prepared this year for heavy traffic.

Click Frenzy ... back for round two.

Click Frenzy ... back for round two.

"This is a phenomenal figure," he said.

Mr Arnott said it was the first time he had seen the site in its "full glory". This time last year the site had already crashed, leading many consumers to dub the website "clickfail".

Some users have complained the site is not working this year, saying they could only see a timer that was set on "negative".

"We're looking into that," Mr Arnott said. "We're certainly investigating."

Users who are experiencing difficulty are being advised to refresh their page.

Click Frenzy has enlisted computing giant Amazon Web Services to host the sale, in which 300 retailers are taking part, including Myer, Big W, Peter Alexander, Bonds, Booktopia and The Iconic – up from 200 retailers last year.

Discounts range from 15 to 20 per cent off electronic goods up to 80 to 90 per cent of fashion, sportswear, kitchen appliance and fragrances.

Some of Australia's largest retailers do not want to miss out on the online opportunity, gate-crashing the event by holding rival sales of their own.

The move has led to a war of words between the organiser of Click Frenzy and  the founder of online electronics giant Kogan, who said Australia's answer to Cyber Monday should be open to all retailers and not "owned" by one central body.

A handful of other retailers including QBD The Bookshop – which is hosting an online 'Book Frenzy' – went on sale at 7pm, just as the official event was getting under way.

Meanwhile, department store David Jones launched its "Christmas Frenzy" sale on Tuesday morning and has taken the unusual step of opening all its stores until 9pm. The sale, which includes discounts of up to 40 per cent, is available to both online and in-store shoppers and will continue online until midnight.

• No deals. Big dissapointment.There are more discounts during a normal Myer sale. Aussie retailers still don't get it! Guess ill keep shopping over seas.

P.S.H
    November 19, 2013, 9:30PM
    • yes I did Christmas shopping for my boys on Click Frenzy. Some good deals on business shirts which they both asked for as they graduate. I did compare prices to other sales today and Click Frenzy had some good deals. I'm happy and so are they. There were a few delays and I did have to register with 3 different sites to buy the goods I wanted. But it was all manageable. Here's hoping i am not subjected to spam on my phone and email for the rest of my life.

a don
      sydney
      November 19, 2013, 9:39PM
      • I'm more likely to be convinced that these 'news' articles are in fact the main advertising thrust of Click Frenzy. It's been a dud from the beginning and is certainly no longer of relevance to the readership.

John Fox
        Brisbane
        November 19, 2013, 10:06PM
        • Sounds like they're still amateurs if they're measuring performance by 'clicks'

Wearing my cardigan
          November 19, 2013, 10:48PM
          • Still ClickFail for me I'm afraid. No luck with the big retailer sites - just too slow to process anything. Like PSH I'm back to focussing overseas again. Disappointed - I'd like to support local. No point heading in store either as you can't ever find staff to buy anything or ask questions...

T
            November 19, 2013, 10:52PM
            • I agree "Clickfail" this time site worked well but no real bargains - could get better deals in stores. Crazy to wait once a year for this waste of time- offer some huge discounts!! I usually shop at Ozsale or Vipweeklydeals.com for my Christmas needs. Reliable / quick and good deals.

Shopperholic
              November 20, 2013, 2:43AM
              • No great deals.Very disappointing. Looks like I'll be going back to buying all my Christmas presents from overseas. Cyber Monday in the US is usually great.

Jenny L
                November 20, 2013, 7:17AM
                • What a BIG LOAD OF NOTHING!!! I got better prices during the year at factory outlets, DFO, usual sales in store..It seems like a big conn job to me.. i agree with other comments i do enjoy purchasing from overseas, I stilL GET BETTER DEALS. Retailers still do not get it.. The whole process seems too complicated. if i want to buy something from a retailer i usually go their web site anyway, i dont need to clcik on a thrird p[arty to send me to the retailer..

gazza
                  melbourne
                  November 20, 2013, 7:35AM
                  • Saw a couple ok deals, but 9 times out of ten its still cheaper to buy from overseas. Some "discount" prices were laughable.

Poor retail industry. The only way it can survive is if we exploit our Australian workers and lower the minimum wage to an unliveable standard.

Reality Bites