Dodo and ClubTelco suffer 'major technical issue' causing internet outage

Dodo's own webpage at 4pm on Monday.

Dodo's own webpage at 4pm on Monday.

Customers of budget internet service providers Dodo and ClubTelco across Australia were left without a stable internet connection for at least 12 hours on Monday after technical issues caused intermittent or slow connectivity.

In a statement at about 8pm on Monday, Dodo said the problem was due to "a hardware failure" in its Victorian network.

"Our network operations team identified the issue and has treated it with the highest priority, expecting to restore the network to full operations this evening. We apologise to all customers affected by the outage," a company spokeswoman said.

Aussie Outage website shows users reporting the issue.

Aussie Outage website shows users reporting the issue.

Broadband outage website Aussie Outages showed several hundred customers complaining from about 7am AEST Monday.

As of 3pm, the site - which takes submissions from the public  - showed the issues appeared to remain for some. At 4pm they peaked again.

Broadband forum Whirlpool also had a number of users complaining.

As of 2011, Dodo had around 300,000 customers while ClubTelco, which is owned by the same company, had 120,000. M2 Telecom acquired both companies last year and its website was offline Monday afternoon too.

Subscribers of other M2 companies, Eftel and aaNet, also reported problems on Whirlpool.

"We are aware of a major technical issue that is currently affecting a significant number of customer accounts," Dodo said at about 10am on its Facebook page. ClubTelco posted a similar message.

"This is our highest priority and our technical support team are currently working hard to resolve this service outage."

The junior ISPs said their telephone contact centres were affected by the outage and the best way to get in touch was via live chat on their websites. But at times on Monday both websites were unreachable.

"We appreciate your patience while we try to manage the heavy traffic on Live Chat at this time. Otherwise we will make sure to answer your queries on Facebook as well," Dodo said in its post.

"Regular updates will be shared via our Facebook and Twitter profiles as we work towards resolving this issue.

"Please accept our sincerest apologies for this inconvenience. We thank you for your understanding."

Dodo and ClubTelco weren't the only ones suffering outages this week. Tech publication Lifehacker reported that some Telstra 4G hotspot users were also having issues connecting to the web thanks to a faulty software update.

In 2009, reports surfaced that Dodo's network performance and customer service woes had plumbed to new lows, with the internet provider's customers reporting cripplingly slow browsing speeds for a period of two weeks.

In 2012, the company took blame for an outage affecting many Australian internet connections, saying it was caused by a hardware fault on a router that triggered crippling flow on effects at Telstra.

• I've never heard anything good said about Dodo. Their company name says it all, really.

Jessica
    Mosman
    August 18, 2014, 4:20PM
    • Been with them for years. Usually pretty good with a couple of minor glitches.
      I get a 10mb download speed so I am happy.

DavidG
      ACT
      August 18, 2014, 6:59PM
    • I stand corrected. The company was voted worst brand of the year in 2012 by cranky Dodo customers on Product Review's website. Perhaps they've changed their ways.

Jessica
      Mosman
      August 18, 2014, 11:06PM
  • My Engin account has been out since late last week. They are also an M2 company .Have contacted them - but they have no idea. Am switching providers this week .

BEN
    NSW
    August 18, 2014, 9:21PM
    • TPG has been slow for a week now - contacted them, asking if they had problems at the exchange, got the usual runaround about flushing the cache, reset the modem... sigh.

paulie
      August 18, 2014, 11:01PM
      • Another failure of the Rudd/Gillard government. If it wasn't for their reckless spending...we wouldn't be stuck with Abbott. It wouldn't have helped Dodo but things would have at least been better. Am I right?

Sam
        August 18, 2014, 11:08PM
        • WTF????!!!!

Iggle Piggle
          The Night Garden
          August 20, 2014, 7:02PM
      • I decided to give Club Telco a try last year after losing patience with Telstra/Optus. The price was good, but the service from the overseas call centre was terrible. I could not understand what they were saying, and had to coach them to speak slowly and clearly. It almost seemed like they were Asians trying to sound American (strange). I put up with this hoping that after being connected I'd never need to speak to them again. Unfortunately Internet outages/slow downs were frequent, and negatively impacted on my work from home arrangements as my employer could not communicate with me. I spent much time on the phone to Club Telco, irritating voices, many many outages.

So then I switched to DoDo, and was most annoyed to discover the same strangely manipulated voices on the end of the phone, so I called Eftel, and you guessed it, same voices. As this article suggests, they are all in fact the same company. I guess I should have done my research!?

I ended up begrudgingly switching back to Telstra for the speed and reliability of a cable connection (plus I could at least understand their call centre workers who were also OS but without the strange faux American accent).

In my history of IPS's, iinet has undoubtably had the best customer service, but unfortunately could not offer me anything more then ADSL, and being 6km from my nearest exchange, that was like going backwards 15 years in speed.

What's this got to do with the article? When your internet isn't working... to suddenly find yourself dealing with people in another country who cannot clearly communicate is enough to push your blood pressure to breaking point! This is where Club Telco and friends get it wrong.

Donovan
        Burwood
        August 19, 2014, 8:20AM
        • @ Donovan, Just an FYI - I believe the customer service for Dodo call centers are in the Philippines and Filipinos do have that Filo/American accent, they are not intentionally making it up. Its part of the way Filipinos speak.

For me, I guess Im pretty lucky to only experience this kind of outage once in a few months. The last one I remember was sometime late last year. Im happy with the service with the amount Im paying for.

rjboo
          August 19, 2014, 11:15AM
      • I've been with Dodo for three years and have been very happy with them. My understanding is that they rent their lines (and possibly equipment) from Telstra so presumably they have to negotiate repairs with Telstra. My biggest problem since joining Dodo has stemmed from Telstra's refusal to replace the line outside my house despite several requests from their own maintenance people.

Heidi