Megaupload founder to launch new site
The founder of outlawed file-sharing site Megaupload, Kim Dotcom, who is facing online piracy charges, says a new site he plans to launch is not in retaliation.PT1M25S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-2d0to 620 349 January 20, 2013
THE New Zealand internet tycoon Kim Dotcom claimed a ''massive'' response to his file-sharing service that was launched on Sunday, and suggested it could be the fastest growing start-up in history.
The mega.co.nz website, which replaced the outlawed Megaupload, went live at dawn, exactly a year after armed police stormed Mr Dotcom's Auckland mansion and arrested him in the world's biggest online piracy case.
Mr Dotcom, who wanted this venture to repeat the success of Megaupload's 50 million visitors daily, said there had been a ''massive'' demand.
Claimed a "massive" response to mega.co.nz ... Kim Dotcom. Photo: Reuters
He initially tweeted there were ''100,000 registered users in less than 1 hour. Fastest growing start-up in internet history?'' and reported an hour later the site was overloaded.
''Massive demand. Incredible,'' he tweeted. ''250,000 user registrations. Server capacity on maximum load. Should get better when initial frenzy is over. Wow!!!''
Users complained they had difficulty registering because of the overwhelming response.
Mega.co.nz promised state-of-the-art encryption to ensure only the users, not the site administrators, knew what they were uploading.
That would theoretically stop authorities accusing administrators of knowingly aiding online piracy, which was the main allegation in the Megaupload case.