Melbourne Airport is reviewing its roadside pick-up and drop-off system following a horrific crash outside the international departures terminal in which a man was crushed between two vehicles.

A taxi driver allegedly smashed into the rear of a parked van, trapping an Indonesian visitor who had been helping his driver load luggage into the rear of the van on Wednesday morning.

The man, aged in his 30s, remains at the Royal Melbourne Hospital in a serious but stable condition, a hospital spokeswoman said on Thursday.

Police on the scene had described his injuries as “horrific”.  “We're very fortunate someone didn't lose their life,” Senior Sergeant Shayne Kerley said.

The van driver also remains in hospital, in a stable condition after receiving treatment for head and shoulder injuries.

Detectives from the Major Collision Investigation Unit are investigating and the driver of the taxi, a 34-year-old Brunswick man, is expected to be charged on summons with driving offences, a police spokesman said.

Melbourne Airport spokeswoman Anna Gillett said the airport would investigate all relevant systems following "the tragic incident".

"All incidents involving passengers, pedestrians or visitors, are incidents we review," she said.

"We're going through that process at the moment and we're obviously working with the relevant authorities."

The airport also engages in regular reviews, "particularly those involving passenger safety," she said.

A 13CABS spokesman said the taxi driver had been working for them for about a month and would be offered driver assistance.

"13CABS sees this as a tragic accident," he said. "We're just so shocked and horrified that it's happened, for all parties concerned."