Bug extermination bombs
An attempt at pest extermination backfired at a Melbourne restaurant after the flammable poison ignited, setting off a blast that took down part of the building.PT1M18S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-2bm4d 620 349 December 19, 2012
A city restaurant is facing an untimely repair bill after an attempt at pest extermination went wrong.
Emergency services were called to the Gourmet Curry Hut restaurant in Little Collins Street just after 10.30pm on Tuesday after part of the roof collapsed and the bar was destroyed.
Metropolitan Fire Brigade commander Brad Quinn said it appeared some of the poison came into contact with a pilot light in the kitchen and ignited, causing the ceiling to collapse.
"[The explosion] took down part of the suspended ceiling and some other parts around the bar area," he said.
"There was one person in there at the time ... that felt the effects of the blast and the suspended ceiling coming down."
A passer-by also felt the effects of the explosion, Mr Quinn said. "They copped a mouthful of dust and smoke and, probably, product [poison]."
An Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman said that the man in the restaurant, aged 24, was hit in the back by falling debris. He was not taken to hospital.
The passer-by, also a man aged 24, complained of a sore throat but did not require treatment, she said.
Mr Quinn said the wooden bar area where glasses and plates were stored was knocked over and damaged.
The damage bill has been estimated at $10,000.
Mr Quinn said bug bombs were highly flammable and that it was essential warnings on the package were read closely.
A building inspector is expected to examine the scene later on Wednesday.