License article

Ballarat man accused of installing spy cameras in ex-wife's house

A man accused of concealing surveillance cameras in skirting boards at his ex-wife's home also allegedly attached a GPS tracker to her car, a court has heard.

The 55-year-old was accused of installing a camera in the bedroom and bathroom at the family home in Creswick, allegedly telling police, "it was for his own safety", The Courier reported.

Ballarat Magistrates Court heard the surveillance cameras were attached to wires, which ran through the house and were linked to a VCR recording device.

The man is charged with recklessly causing injury, stalking, use of a listening device and contravening an interim family violence intervention order.

 He allegedly entered the woman's house on June 12 and attacked her in her bedroom, jumped on her chest and tried to tape her mouth.

After a short struggle, the court heard the man allegedly tried to place a pillow over the woman's face before she broke free and calmed the accused down, forcing him to leave the property.


The man on Thursday appeared before magistrate Franz Holzer, who said the "bizarre, sophisticated and protracted" allegations, if proven, could potentially attract a jail term.

Police prosecutor Senior Constable Michelle Kilburn told the court the cameras were found in June - a month after the former couple's daughter found a listening device in the home, which allegedly caused an argument that ended the relationship.

The recording device was  placed in the house to hear what the victim was "saying to people about him behind his back", Senior Constable Kilburn said.

 He said the man admitted the GPS tracking device, allegedly discovered after the victim took her car into an electrical specialist in Ballarat, was his, but denied attaching it to the victim's car.

An envelope with five GPS coordinates, allegedly written in the man's handwriting, of five locations recently visited by the woman, was also found, the court heard.

The man's defence lawyer, Andrew George, said the accused, who denied a significant amount of the allegations, had no priors and was now residing away from the area.

The man will reappear at Ballarat Magistrates Court for a two-day contested hearing on May 5.  

The Courier