Taniora Tangaloa (left), Jack Vaotangi and Jasmin Destanovic.

Taniora Tangaloa (left), Jack Vaotangi and Jasmin Destanovic.

Stephen Jones simply didn't want to be an outlaw motorcycle gang member any more.

He'd been with the Rebels and later the Bandidos but got ''fed up'' with the lifestyle and wanted to go straight.

Mr Jones, 47, aimed to spend time with his young daughter, run a family business and be ''happy to have a few friends who had Harleys and go for a ride''.

Although adamant there was no ''bad blood'' on quitting the Bandidos, he knew the bond was over. But he never imagined that the parting would unleash hell.

January 15, 2009, had been hot, and as evening simmered towards sunset, life in Earlybird Way, Epping, appeared normal and neighbourly.

Mr Jones had woken from a nap and was on the phone to a friend about 6.30pm to arrange a ride when the doorbell rang.

He peered out and saw former clubmates Jack Vaotangi and Jasmin Destanovic at the front door, which had been bashed in.

Mr Jones, wearing only underpants, cowered in his en suite and dialled 000, but before he could push the ''send'' button they, now with Taniora Tangaloa, had him.

A handgun was shoved in his mouth and the trigger pulled, his ear was sliced with a knife, and he was stabbed, cut and bashed before being viciously kicked in the face. A guitar was smashed over his head.

And in a final indignity, especially for a biker, the men rode off on his prized possessions - two Harley-Davidson motorcycles. They also stole his car, a laptop, telescope and other items, the plunder valued at more than $100,000.

A Melbourne County Court jury found Tangaloa, 38, Vaotangi, 35, and Destanovic, 36, guilty of armed robbery, aggravated burglary and intentionally causing serious injury, but could not reach a verdict on a fourth man whose prosecution was later discontinued by the Crown.

After numerous delayed trials, the jury, by their verdicts, didn't accept the men's defence that they simply weren't at the house.

Mr Jones listed injuries in his victim impact statement that included a broken left cheek and eye socket, stab wounds and cuts to his face, nose and forehead that left permanent scarring and a cracked tooth. His ear was sewn back on.

The emotional trauma from that ''night of terror'', he wrote, caused extreme anxiety, recurring nightmares and '' living in fear for the rest of my life''.

Why was he subjected to such vicious treatment?

Rather than retribution for leaving the club, Judge Bill Stuart regarded the men's motivation as an apparent ''desire … to steal whatever they could''.

Judge Stuart also said the ''extreme beating'' was to ''terrify him such that he will not report the thefts from his home''.

Prosecutor Alex Albert agreed, submitting that the viciousness and ''mental torture'' seemed unnecessary, and that all three - despite Tangaloa wielding the gun, articulating threats and smashing the guitar and Vaotangi slitting the ear - supported, assisted and encouraged the other with little distinction in their culpability.

Mr Jones told the jury he met Tangaloa at the Rebels in 2001, with Vaotangi and Destanovic, and later he was invited to the Bandidos where they resumed a friendship, but there was ''bad blood'' when some left that club.

In November 2008, he phoned Tangaloa, who was upset to hear him say ''I don't want to be part of your group any more'' because ''they like to keep the hard-core group together''.

''These blokes used to hug me and kiss me and say, 'We love, brother,''' he said.

The last words Tangaloa offered, Mr Jones recalled, were ''just keep in touch, take it easy''.

The next ones he heard from Tangaloa were on January 15 while he was on his knees - with Vaotangi and Destanovic holding his shoulders - after he had put a gun to his mouth: ''I want all the keys to your Harley-Davidsons, all the money you've got in the house, and today you're gunna die.''

After the beating, Mr Jones remembered saying to himself, ''You're still alive, you're still alive'' then the sound of his Harleys ''start up and go''.

He agreed with Michael Sharpley, for Tangaloa, that he first refused to identify his attackers, but later did.

''I had enough, I was fed up,'' he said. ''I was in a bike club, I had nothing to do with bike clubs any more.

''Being in the bike clubs they grind into you that you're not allowed to talk to police, you're not allowed to identify anyone if you ever spoke to police. Joe [Tangaloa] would put the fear of God into me, saying he was gunna kill me if we spoke to the police.''

Mr Jones rejected the suggestion from Destanovic's barrister Wayne Toohey he was a ''cunning liar'' and that his client was not present.

He also denied he feared outside his door the husband of a Tony Mokbel associate whose wife he'd earlier had an affair with, or that Bandidos were responsible.

In pleas for mitigation that ended this week, Tangaloa, a ''pallet technician'' and father of 11 from three relationships, who has no prior convictions, was described by supporters as a generous family man, charitable, and one who ''gives of himself to his friends''.

Destanovic, a father of five and a painter and decorator who has criminal convictions that include assault, seemed, said Mr Toohey, ''like a normal, run of the mill fellow'' who had ''no great problem with the world''.

Barrister James McQuillan said Vaotangi, a married father of three, had convictions for violence, but was ''essentially a family man'' from a good Christian family who at the time of the incident was ''out of control'' on ice when associating with the ''wrong crowd''.

Now drug free, employed and back with his family, Vaotangi, said Mr McQuillan, ''wants to rectify his past''.

Judge Stuart, who will sentence the men next month, has acknowledged that the delay in finalising the charges was a significant factor.