Charges laid over bikie kidnap attempt
Three men linked to outlaw motorcycle gangs have been denied bail after police investigating drug trafficking foiled an alleged kidnap attempt in Melbourne's north east.
All have been charged with assault, recklessly causing injury, unlawful assault and conspiring to kidnap.
Two of the accused men are also facing charges of trafficking a raft of illegal drugs, including methamphetamine, cannabis, cocaine, party drug GHB and prescription medication Xanax.
Police questioned the two Mill Park men, aged 38 and 41, and a Reservoir man, 29, all day on Saturday, before they were ordered to be remanded in custody at an out-of-sessions hearing early this morning.
They were arrested in Greensborough on Friday night after Special Operations Group officers caught them allegedly planning to kidnap a criminal associates as retribution for stealing one of their wallets.
The arrests came after a three-month police operation, in which the two Mill Park men were suspected of trafficking commercial quantities of drugs, including more than 1.2 kilograms of methamphetamine - commonly known as 'ice'.
The investigation began after one of the men was nabbed speeding in Epping on January 24, and police found a dagger, cannabis, ice, scales, zip-lock bags and $21000 cash stashed in the air-conditioning vent.
Senior Constable Kathryn Kilgour said police had become "increasingly concerned" on March 8, after investigations revealed the three allegedly began conspiring with two others to kidnap, torture and hold for ransom one of their associates.
At one of the addresses in Bundoora, the associate was not there but the three men allegedly kicked and punched a man in the head to try and force him to reveal his whereabouts.
Bail justice Matthew Wood denied the three men bail, fearing they could continue the hunt for the man they intended to kidnap because their plans had been foiled.
The Mill Park man, 41, expressed remorse and told the bail hearing he did not plan to resume the hunt.
"I have stuffed up," he said. "I didn't realise what I was getting myself into and it blew up in my face, but that's no excuse, to say the least.
"I have no reason to follow up what we were alleged to do yesterday. I've got no reason at all."
The Reservoir man, who is the father of a young child and is engaged to be married said: "I want no part in dealings with the other guys".
The three men will face the Melbourne Magistrates court on Tuesday.