A woman allegedly held hostage and sexually and physically assaulted at a Melbourne hotel feared for weeks that she was hours away from being killed, according to court documents.

The woman, a Dutch backpacker, said in a police statement she self-harmed on Christmas Day last year at the Rydges Bell City Hotel in Preston because she thought it ''better to finish it myself than let them hurt me more''.

The woman, who was 21 at the time, was allegedly held hostage for six weeks by Alfio Anthony Granata, 45, and Jennifer Mary Peaston, 33. Granata and Peaston both face more than 100 charges, including counts of rape, assault and making threats to kill.

After a five-day committal hearing in Melbourne Magistrates Court last week, they both pleaded not guilty and are now awaiting trial.

Magistrate Kay Robertson on Tuesday granted media access to some material tendered to court.

In her statement to police, the alleged victim said she met Granata and Peaston at a birthday party in St Kilda in late October last year, and had engaged in consensual ''threesomes'' and drug use with the couple. She said that from a day in the first half of November she was kept at the hotel, or occasionally driven somewhere, and was repeatedly sexually and physically assaulted, which included being stabbed and beaten with a vacuum cleaner pipe, stick or kitchen utensils.

She told police Granata had with a knife scratched crosses into the skin of both women to symbolise they ''belonged to him'' and were ''marked for death''.

She said at another point: ''It was like I was being brainwashed. I couldn't really think any more. What Alfio said was how it was. You do whatever he says because if it didn't happen there would be a lot more pain. You don't upset him, you do as he pleases.''

Later in her statement she said: ''After every beating I was happy to survive but wondering how many hours it was till the next move of that psychopath, wondering when it would be the last.''

The woman said she was also beaten by Peaston, although she was spared on December 3 because it was Peaston's birthday and she decided what happened that day. The Dutch woman said the couple took her belongings, withdrew money from her bank accounts and monitored the times she used Facebook or called her parents in the Netherlands.

The woman said she stayed compliant because she wanted to ''get out and stay alive'', until she self-harmed after Granata put her toenails and fingernails, blood, hair and passport photograph in an envelope as part of a ''ritual''.

Police allege Granata and Peaston panicked and called triple-0 when the woman self-harmed.

Granata and Peaston are both in custody and scheduled to appear before the County Court on February 4.