License article

Exploding TV puts two in hospital, building evacuated

Two people were taken to hospital and more than 30 evacuated from a smoking building after a television exploded and burst into flames.

The Metropolitan Fire Brigade was called to an apartment block on Barkly Street, St Kilda, about 3.30am on Monday after a couple in their late 20s reported hearing a loud bang from their television, before it became engulfed in flames.

It took 12 firefighters about 30 minutes to put out the fire, which was contained to one apartment, but the other three levels of the complex were smoke-logged, MFB spokesman Trevor Woodward said. 

A boy in his mid-teens and a woman in her 20s were taken to the Royal Children's Hospital and to The Alfred suffering from smoke inhalation, Ambulance Victoria spokesman Paul Bentley said. Two others were treated for smoke inhalation.

Mr Woodward said six apartments were so severely damaged by smoke, they were no longer habitable.

“Those residents have had to seek alternative accommodation,” he said.


The damage bill is estimated at $50,000.

MFB spokeswoman Meg Rayner said firefighters attended to five television fires in the last financial year.

“It certainly does happen a lot more than people realise,” she said.

Other common household appliances to cause fires were electric blankets, cooking equipment and central heating and cooling units.