Fare-evader fines soar under myki

Caroline Zielinski

A sign warns of the abolition of ticket sales on trams in Melbourne.

A sign warns of the abolition of ticket sales on trams in Melbourne. Photo: Ken Irwin

Ticket inspectors have been busy since myki cards became compulsory on December 29.

Almost 7900 fines were issued on trains in January this year, nearly double the 4318 fines issued in January 2012.

However, ticket offences on trams and buses are down slightly this January, compared with this time last year.

Illustration: Matt Golding.

Illustration: Matt Golding. Photo: Matt Golding

President of the Public Transport Users Association, Tony Morton, blamed this disparity on a ticket inspector blitz on the trains, saying the figures look like "active targeting on the train system, which seems to be Metro's focus".

"There was a period of leniency during the initial introduction of myki, but now that Metcards have been switched off, the government has taken the opportunity to clamp down on fare evasion," he said.

He said more staff present at stations would be a better solution to stopping fare evasion.

Public Transport Victoria confirmed that trains were being targeted, with 350 of 550 authorised officers working the metropolitan rail network.

"We warned that there would be more checks, more fines, more often. If you fare-evade, you will get caught," a spokesperson said.

Fare evasion was widespread on trams last May, when one in five tram passengers was caught without a valid ticket. In October 2012, the figure fell to one in 10.

Fines

V/LINE

JAN 2012 - 170

JAN 2013 - 526

TOTAL

JAN 2012 - 6527

JAN 2013 - 10,320

• When will a single use ticket be introduced? I forgot my myki card a few days ago and fare evaded. Why should I be expected to pay another $6 + the cost of the fare?

brian
    melb
    February 12, 2013, 11:35AM
    • Why not Brain is it Metros fault that you forgot your Myki card?

Andrew
      Essendon
      February 12, 2013, 11:42AM
    • You forgot your ticket it's not anyone else's fault. Either have a spare or risk the fine. Not some one else's problem

TeldarCastelian
      February 12, 2013, 11:46AM
    • I used to have this problem when i was unfortunate enough to have to catch the train. Now i ride instead, much faster and cheaper too.
      Anyway, who cares if you get a fine, just do what i used to do and stretch the 'authorities' out for as long as possible. Normally i can get 8-10 months out of a fine and by that stage whatever self proclaimed authority has at least spent triple the cost of 'recovering' their money from me.
      We only need a small proportion of passengers to act similarly and it will bring 'metros' fare evasion tactics into the light.

Padrino
      Ellivarray
      February 12, 2013, 11:51AM
    • Because paying $12 is way better than paying $250 if you get caught and you'll always have a spare myki in case your myki gets lost or stolen or you forget it!

Stickers
      February 12, 2013, 11:53AM
    • +1
      I've had to resort to keeping a spare in my bag just in case. It is cheaper for me to have the Pass on my main card, but if I forget it I still need to pay again or risk a fine. I have already PAID to travel, but if I don't have the card on me it's too bad.
      It's a system set up to make people break the rules and thereby raise more revenue.

Minx
      February 12, 2013, 11:53AM
    • Errrmm, I have registered my name to my myki card and had a valid myki pass on it. I've paid for travel. Purchasing a another myki card is a ridiculous waste of time and resources. A re-usable single use ticket is required for situations like this and tourists. Yeah its my fault I forgot the ticket, but make it the system friendly and easy to use, we've already paid a bucket load of cash to use it, why should we have to pay more?

Just like Gaz from Yarrawonga, I was recently in Bangkok and they had a similar system(Card linked to an account or single use tokens that get retained by the barrier on use), not one problem. Why cant $1.5Billion pay for that?

brian
      melb
      February 12, 2013, 11:56AM
    • Come on Brian! This is all part of a grand strategy that you obviously missed. Myki are hell bent on getting people OFF of the trains and what better way to do that than to fine the living daylights out of the passengers. This will drive them on to buses in droves where the next drive by the inspectors will reap huge rewards in the form of fines, allowing a cut back in trains and buses. Watch out for huge presence of police on the roads when the traffic buildup makes people use their cars! The governments coffers will be overflowing. Joy Oh! Joy.

Creeker
      February 12, 2013, 11:58AM
    • Its metro's fault that you can't buy a single use ticket or get a fully refundable card. What a joke. And the fine revenue goes overseas or into executive pockets, does it not?

Hmmm
      February 12, 2013, 11:58AM
    • I was going to get a bike, but it looks like i'll need to have it registered soon enough, what a joke this place is!
      Only other option is to get a motorbike that is incapable of breaking the speed limit and using citylink for free and parking on footpaths for free. Seems the safest bet.

brian
      melb
      February 12, 2013, 12:02PM

Related Coverage

Special offers

Credit card, savings and loan rates by Mozo