An uncle and his niece were burnt after a leaky gas bottle ignited a "gas cloud" explosion in Melbourne's east.
They were attempting to use a wok on a barbecue attached to a gas bottle in a garage in Middleborough Road, Box Hill, on Wednesday just before noon.
Two injured in Box Hill North gas explosion
RAW VIDEO: A teenage girl and a man in his 50s have suffered burns after an explosion in Box Hill North. (Vision courtesy Seven News Melbourne)
Metropolitan Fire Brigade Box Hill senior station officer Trevor Bowen said the gas cylinder 's hose was loose, which allowed the gas to escape in the garage.
"That gas cloud came in contact with the flame from the burner, and that ignited the gas cloud ," Mr Bowen said.
"And then the gas explosion is what burnt the uncle and the niece."
Mr Bowen said the pair were roasting barley in preparation for the approaching Tibetan New Year when the accident happened.
"The girl, 13, ran screaming, knocking on doors, and the third house [occupants] answered, which was fantastic," he said.
She had burns to her back and legs, and the neighbour put her into the shower to cool off, he said.
Mr Bowen said the reason why the two were treated so quickly was because the Box Hill station had staffed four firefighters on the truck.
"We were able to split the team," he said.
"Two firefighters were able to treat the girl instantly, and the other two put the fire out and treated the male.
"Had it been another fire truck with [the usual] three firefighters on it, they wouldn't have been able to treat the girl as quickly, there would have been more damage and there would have been more pain."
Ambulance Victoria intensive care paramedic Peter Godwin was called to the scene along with two advanced life support ambulances, two single responder intensive care paramedics and a health commander.Mr Godwin said the man, aged 50, suffered burns to his arms and minor burns to his face.
The injured pair were taken to hospital in a stable condition, the man to The Alfred and the girl to the Royal Children's Hospital.
Mr Godwin said burns needed to be cooled quickly and without the cooling shower the girl's injuries would have been more severe."It's vitally important to cool burns with water for between 10 and 20 minutes," he said.Metropolitan Fire Brigade eastern district commander Bob Lanigan said the fire was a timely reminder to check gas bottles for leaks.
He said gas bottles could be checked by using a homemade soapy solution. The solution can be either painted or sprayed onto a gas bottle's valve and hose area. If the solution bubbled, the gas bottle was leaking, he said. He said the connections needed to be either fixed or the bottle replaced.