Illegal fireworks resulted in two people being taken to hospital and sparked dozens of fires around Victoria on New Year's Eve, infuriating emergency services.
Ambulance Victoria Health Commander Neil Akers said paramedics were called to celebrations in Inverloch and took a man who had burns to his face to the Wonthaggi Hospital in a stable condition.
Happy New Year Melbourne!
Australians still buying ivory products: report
Anti-Howard Uni protests turn argy-bargy
Who the pollies are picking
Aussie oil spill worries
RSL reform push grows
Teenager Cassie Olczak found safe
Severe weather continues in South Australia
Happy New Year Melbourne!
Fireworks light up the city of Melbourne to kick-start 2016. (Vision courtesy Seven News Melbourne)
"Another man was lucky to escape serious injury when a firework was discharged near his head at Pykes Creek," Mr Akers said.
"He has cuts to the head, and burns to the face.
"He made his way to Bacchus Marsh hospital and was taken to Ballarat Base Hospital in a stable condition."
Meanwhile, firefighters were called to 35 fires caused by illegal fireworks and flares between 11pm and 2am.
Metropolitan Fire Brigade spokesman Steve Moore said the most significant of the 16 blazes across Melbourne was a grass fire covering an area of 100 metres by 400 metres near the Victorian Baseball and Softball Centre on Merton Street in Altona.
It is believed a flare started the fire, which six or seven trucks attended.
Meanwhile, the Country Fire Authority responded to 19 grass and scrub fires caused by fireworks and flares, including in Flinders, Clunes and Eaglehawk.
A State Control Centre spokeswoman said a flare hit a house in Ocean Grove, near Geelong, causing its roof to catch alight.
The widespread use of fireworks was despite there being severe fire danger on Thursday and a total fire ban being in place across several districts, including Melbourne.
State government minister Jacinta Allan said it was incredibly disappointing to see fireworks ignite dozens of fires after authorities issued multiple warnings in the lead up to New Year's Eve.
"That is irresponsible," she said. "It shows a real lack of respect for the hard work of our emergency services."
"It's frustrating that we put warnings out about the risks of using illegal fireworks, yet it hasn't deterred some people," Mr Akers said.
Two men are also in hospital fighting for their lives after separate accidents on Thursday night.
Mr Akers said a man in his 20s fell from a balcony in Kew just before 2.30am, and was taken to The Alfred hospital with head and pelvis injuries.
"Thirty minutes earlier a man aged in his 20s suffered head injuries at Cowes when he jumped from the pier, landing on sand," he said.
"He was flown by air ambulance helicopter to The Alfred hospital in a critical condition,"
Mr Akers said he was pleased with revellers' behaviour, with paramedics responding to 90 calls in Melbourne's CBD between 8pm and 3am, which was a third fewer than last year.
Most calls in the city were for people who had fallen, had drank too much or had been assaulted, he said.
Victoria Police said the force was generally pleased with behaviour overnight, with only two people being arrested in Melbourne's CBD.
The were 126 arrests across the state, a spokeswoman said, including 65 for being drunk in public.
The numbers were down from last New Year's Eve when 184 people were arrested, including 104 for being drunk.
There were 65 reported assaults on Thursday night, down from 120 last year, and 16 drink-driving offences, down from 28.
"It was great to see people out and about having fun and enjoying the festivities safely and respectfully," Deputy Commissioner Andrew Crisp said.
"There were a small number of people who did the wrong thing but they were dealt with by police throughout the night. "
Deputy Commissioner Crisp said police would investigate reports of illegal fireworks being used.