Jockeys to face more questions over bets
AT LEAST two more jockeys expect to be questioned this week in the betting investigation that has caused upheaval in Victorian racing.
And as the probe continues, the scandal centred on a $10,000 bet made by Damien Oliver will go back to its source as the racing integrity commissioner, Sal Perna, reviews Racing Victoria's inquiry into the matter.
The jockeys awaiting interviews say Racing Victoria investigators have told them they are required to attend inquiries and have tailored their riding schedules accordingly.
Up to 10 jockeys are believed to be implicated in the betting investigations that this week led to Oliver being banned for 10 months over a $10,000 bet he placed on a rival horse in a race in which he rode.
Oliver admitted his guilt after initially refusing to speak to investigators until a deal was done, which effectively allowed him to ride through the Melbourne spring carnival.
The ''without prejudice'' discussions between Oliver and his lawyers and Racing Victoria led to him making a formal admission last week to his ''one-off, spur-of-the-moment'' bet on Miss Octopussy at Moonee Valley in October 2010.
The Perna review, announced on Wednesday at the instigation of the Racing Minister, Denis Napthine, will examine the handling by Racing Victoria of the Oliver case. It was as a result of information received by Perna in August that Oliver's betting was revealed.
After the Oliver case, Napthine questioned Racing Victoria's failure to stand the jockey down as soon as the allegations against him gained credibility. That view won the support of Racing Victoria chief executive Rob Hines but he said he understood the reasons for the delay.