Live coverage: thousands of VCE students wish upon ATAR

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Video will begin in 5 seconds.

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

VCE results bring Hashela closer to her dream

Hashela Kumarawansa is confident that she will get into RMIT to study journalism.

PT0M0S 620 349
Josh Marlow was initially disappointed when he didn't get into medicine but ended up enjoying science at Monash Uni much better. <a href="http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/todays-vce-diversion-may-land-you-streets-ahead-20121216-2bhnw.html?rand=1355696162890"><b>Click here to read the full story</a> </b>

Josh Marlow was initially disappointed when he didn't get into medicine but ended up enjoying science at Monash Uni much better. Click here to read the full story Photo: Jason South

Sort posts by:
Sort comments by:
  • Extremely upset my score was published when I hadn't even given permission to do so. I have a copy of my form with me and it clearly shows no permission to publish. All my friends knew my score and it was on facebook even before I got to see it. Just ruined it all for me.

AffectedBadly
    December 17, 2012, 9:10AM
    • We found the 40+ scores on the Herald Sun last night and trolled through them to the wee hours. Can understand some students' disappointment that we knew their score first.

whataboutthis
      melbourne
      December 17, 2012, 9:40AM
      • I don't think the media can self regulate itself.

Robert
        Hum
        December 17, 2012, 9:53AM
        • With the three hour time difference between Australia and China, I should have had my students' results from The Peninsula School sent to me at 6:00 am China time. I am the teacher who worked hard for my students and not the adminsitrators to whom the results were probably sent. It is now after 10:00 am Melbourne time and I am still waiting for that e-mail.

Eric Z
          Nanjing, China
          December 17, 2012, 10:08AM
          • Its only an exam mark albeit an important one. Dont take yourself too seriously. In life there are numerous let down that dont matter.
            You'll see lots of errors by lecturers at uni etc. At the end of the day it's what you put in that couns and stop deferring anger.

Andrew
            Perth
            December 17, 2012, 10:08AM
            • Very true.

Christos
              December 17, 2012, 1:16PM
          • I am very upset and extremely angry too - my results were also published without my permission at midnight. Have to call my school and find out why this happened. I did NOT want my results in the papers. Now all my friends and relatives knew my scores even before I found. Started getting calls early in the morning telling me my scores. Ruined my ATAR surprise.

WangSee
            December 17, 2012, 10:23AM
            • Is VTAC down for anyone else? The results page isn't working at all for me. Just times out and has an error.

Ali
              December 17, 2012, 10:33AM
              • I think people need to calm down a little. I don't see the point in keeping scores a secret to start with, and people are crazy upset that they were leaked early. Besides our score lasts for about two years anyway! It's not the end of the world if you got a bad score OR if a few friends found out before you. Waking up to someone saying 'Congrats on the 46' at the same time as reading my official text was actually kinda cool to be honest. I was baffled that they knew, but I didn't care that the world knew. I instantly started searching my friends up to congratulate them as well, until of course they took it offline.

MileCreations
                December 17, 2012, 11:21AM
                • Absolutely well done peeps. Remember strive will always get you somewhere. All the hardwork has been paid off. Congratulations!! outstanding results!!

omnisapian
                  December 17, 2012, 12:40PM
                  • Not so much that others could see results beforehand, but a violation of privacy. Especially if results of those that stated they wished not for their results to be published were leaked.
                    Which raises the question, why are those results provided to the media anyway?

Herald Sun should be penalised for breach of privacy.

December 17, 2012, 1:51PM
                    • Well done Maisy Stratford-Hutchings - you are such an inspiration to other children. I pray for your good health. Keep smiling.

Congratulations
                      December 17, 2012, 2:41PM
                      • Just quietly, I think subjects like music which require more time/effort for the entire year are marked unfairly - especially considering that many who do the subject go on to become proffessional musicians ( often at the expense of other subjects)

Mrunhappy
                        December 17, 2012, 3:01PM
                        • Just want to say that all those VCE parents, family members, carers and family pets should feel, not only the immense pride that we do for our diligent, 'never give up' students who have made it through (or nearly did), but encourage you to also stop and consider your own truly great contribution to the task. Your unending patience and faith in your VCE pupil has set them up to be of great value to our society regardless of their score. These are our real and much wiser young people who are now ready to take up the cause for better and better education for all Australians. To those who tried while suffering serious illness, we really need you guys as you really know what actually matters in life, and it is definitely not about pride but about courage. We are all humbled by your stamina. To our Aboriginal students, you have always inspired my family. You are the very image of success to us. Thanks for the example.

proudlove