A man is lucky to be alive after fire engulfed his home in Melbourne's east overnight.

The fire broke out just before midnight in the kitchen of the man's unit in Bronte Avenue, Burwood.

Despite the man's attempts to extinguish the blaze, it burnt out the kitchen and bedroom, causing about $100,000 damage.

“The man was lucky that he was still awake when the fire started as there were no installed smoke alarms to alert him had he been asleep,” Metro Fire Brigade's Acting Commander Gavin Rooney said.

Fire crews brought the blaze under control in about 20 minutes.

The man, aged in his 20s, was treated for heat exposure at the scene. Another man, aged in his 60s, was also treated at the scene, an Ambulance Victoria spokesman said.