Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Video will begin in 5 seconds.

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Webb Dock redevelopment design

Watch the conceptual designs for the Webb Dock redevelopment project. Vision from Port of Melbourne Corporation. No audio.

PT3M35S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-2ybf9 620 349

The Port of Melbourne will get a new observation deck and direct road connection from the West Gate Freeway, as part of a $60 million-plus overhaul announced on Thursday.

Under the state government plan, current off ramps at Cook Street will feed into two new roads that link directly to the Port of Melbourne.

One will be built south of the West Gate Bridge towards the Yarra River. The other will divert heavy vehicles off Todd Road, between the freeway and Williamstown Road.

Two roundabouts on the northern end of Todd Road will be upgraded, while noise buffers will be constructed around Webb Dock and Todd Road to protect residential areas.

Premier Denis Napthine said by closing the port's existing entrance, trucks would be taken off local residential streets.

However the Port Melbourne residents group are unconvinced.

Ports People president Helen Kuchel said the government had not planned for the enormous population growth expected in Fishermans Bend.

She said the group’s repeated requests for a study on the predicted impacts on local roads had been ignored.

“They’ve just been fobbing us off,” Ms Kuchel said.

“We’ve been asking for information for months.”

The new works will also include an observation deck at Webb Point, where the public can watch ships entering Webb Dock.

New landscaping has been promised for Perce White Reserve at Maritime Cove, the Webb Trail and the eastern mouth of the Yarra River.

BMD Constructions has been awarded the contact, and is due to begin construction in early 2014.

If Labor wins the next Victorian election, it plans to sell the long-term lease on the Port of Melbourne to fund the improvement of the state's most dangerous and congested level crossings.

The Premier also has not ruled out selling the nation's busiest container port in the future.

“We want to ensure that any ownership decisions about the Port of Melbourne are properly decided, properly integrated into the expansion into [the Port of] Hastings… rather than a short-term cash grab and long-term negative effects on jobs and freight and logistics in Melbourne and Victoria,” Mr Napthine said.