Thousands have descended in the city to see the dying hours of 2012 and usher in the New Year with the biggest fireworks spectacular the city has ever seen.
More than 550,000 people are expected to flock to the city to see in 2013 with a bang. Many are expected to converge on midnight live sites at Treasury Gardens, Flagstaff Gardens and Docklands for the fireworks.
The $2.8 million midnight display, which has taken nine months to prepare, will be accompanied by a soundtrack composed by local artists.
By 6pm last night, people had already staked out their spots at Treasury Gardens in order to get the best views of the midnight extravangaza and to enjoy the night's entertainment.
For Vanda Mullen, New Years Eve was cause for twice the celebration as December 31 is also her birthday. "There is always a "big party for the family," she said.
She said she was looking forward to ushering in another year and hoped it would be better than 2012, which was marred by the death of her mother.
Mrs Mullen and husband Barry had travelled down from Mount Macedon for New Years celebrations with their two daughters and three granchildren and were staying at the Park Hyatt hotel for the night.
"We haven't made definite plans yet. We'll see how the evening evolves," Mr Mullen said.
For Ollie Dezilva, it was the first time her children, six-year-old Leonardo and four-year-old Sophie, had been up to Melbourne for New Years. Ms Dezilva, of Cranbourne, was also accompanied by her parents, who had flown in from Russia for the holidays.
Louis Quinteros came down from Queensland for New Years and drove up from where he is staying with relatives in South Morang for the celebrations. They had staked out a prime piece of real estate in the gardens last night
"We're coming to see if the fireworks are better than Brisbane's," he said. "if they are we'll come back next year," he said.
Send your New Year's Eve pics to email@example.com