Police track runaway sex predator to Glenroy house
Firefighters were called to attend the siege at Glenroy after Antonia Loguancio threatened to burn-down the Glenroy property he has contained himself in.
MFB Broadmeadows Firestation Station Officer Steve Mack said firefighters were on hand as a precaution.
“We were called on scene to assist the police with the siege because the person hold up in the bungalow has threatened to torch the unit, so we are on standby just in case he carries through and decides to burn the bungalow down,” he told 3AW.
Police enter the ground the house in Glenroy. Photo: Ken Irwin
Earlier, a man has arrived at the siege telling police Antonio Loguancio ' is like a second son to me', shortly after a woman identifying herself as his older sister of also arrived in Glenroy.
The woman arrived at the Justin Avenue barricade at the corner of Hilton Street and asked to speak to police just before 9am.
She was escorted through the barricade where she spoke to police.
Special Operation Group police on the Glenroy street. Photo: Ken Irwin
Special Operation Group police have cordoned and contained the Justin Avenue, Glenroy, property where Loguancio is holed up alone.
Negotiations with the fugitive have already lasted over 14 hours as they appeal for him to surrender.
Nearby properties have been evacuated.
Eyewitness residents say a man with mousy brown hair was wrestled to the ground by dozens of plain clothes police at just before 7pm in Melbourne Avenue around the corner from where Loguancio was located.
Police speak to concerned residents in the area near the house where Antonio Loguancio is holed up. Photo: Angela Wylie
The man was handcuffed and taken away but returned later on Friday night.
Minutes later another man wearing an expensive looking hoodie and cap was approached by police with guns drawn in Justin Avenue. He handed over a set of keys to police and was also take away.
Both me were in their 20s.
Police door-knocking in the area around the siege. Photo: Angela Wylie
Superintendent Peter O'Neill said he believed Loguancio, who is wanted by police for breaching a supervision order and for questioning over assaults in the Heidelberg West area, was alone in the house and most likely armed.
''We have him isolated. We have him in a house. We believe he is safe there. We don't believe he is within any other people,'' he said.
''He's armed. We can't confirm it but we are treating it as a siege situation at the moment.''
Preparing for the siege in Glenroy. Photo: Angela Wylie
One unnamed local said he saw Loguancio get off a bus at the Justin avenue shopping strip just before 3pm in Friday.
Superintendent O'Neill said police were communicating with neighbours, many of whom were still in their homes and offering them a safe passage if they wanted to leave.
''At this stage there has been no shots fired there is no alarm that there is going to be shots fired… Our purpose is to resolve this peacefully, patiently and calmly and that no person gets hurt.''
Police at the scene in Glenroy. Photo: Angela Wylie
He would not say how investigators were led to the Glenroy address. But he said negotiations with Loguancio had so far been constructive.
''He's quite good, he's talking to investigators and it's quite calm and constructive so we're hoping that the investigators can convince him to come out and without any harm to anybody.
In the early hours of Saturday morning Loguancio was still holed up in the Justin Street property which neighbours believe is rented by a group of mostly men, in their 20s.
Wanted ... Antonio Loguancio. Photo: Supplied
''My parents live right across the road,'' said Rebecca Terranova, who arrived last night to visit her family, only to be turned away by police.
''I am here most nights and there is always different types and different cars coming and going from there,'' she said. ''They seem to be predominantly males but there is a female who comes in and out.''
''They're often working on their cars and things like that but there's never been any trouble.''
Police prepare for the siege. Photo: Angela Wylie
A sex predator on the run from police after bashing his girlfriend and breaching a supervision order, Loguancio was free because police released him after arresting him earlier this year.
He was arrested for assaulting police and carrying a controlled weapon in early January after a traffic stop escalated into violence.
The incident, in the Heidelberg area, resulted in police spraying Loguancio with capsicum.
However, despite a criminal record that includes six counts of rape, five of intentionally causing injury, four of making threats to kill and 12 of common assault, Fairfax Media has been told he was released on police bail, which means he was not required to front a magistrate or bail justice and argue why he should be bailed.
Legal sources told Fairfax Media that while they were not personally familiar with the details of Loguancio's January arrest, it would be unusual for a man with his criminal record to receive police bail.
Loguancio, 40, was wanted by police for breaching a supervision order - put in place after he finished a sentence for rape - as well as for questioning over assaults in the Heidelberg West area last weekend. The woman allegedly assaulted had not been a previous victim of Loguancio. It has been reported that the supervision order was breached when Loguancio failed to report for a drug test.
The crimes Loguancio allegedly committed in recent months did not breach the order because they were not of a sexual nature.
A spokesman for Corrections Minister Andrew McIntosh said the government would not seek to change the supervision order regime to make violent crimes a potential breach.