Man dies after ugly Rye brawl
A wild brawl involving 10 men erupts in Rye, killing a man from Templestowe. Any info please contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000.PT1M50S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-2c2if 620 349 December 31, 2012
THE sister of a Templestowe man who died from injuries inflicted in a vicious brawl in Rye says she has lost a piece of her heart.
Tributes flooded on to social media for David Cassai, 22, as police called for five men who allegedly incited the brawl to hand themselves in.
On Facebook, Elisa Cassai described David as her baby brother and knight, and "I have a lost a massive piece of my heart.
"I know you will shine down on us with your cheeky smile every single day I know how much you love us all and we love you too much and miss you more than words can explain love your big sista elisa always and forever."
Police said Mr Cassai was struck in the face, and his head hit the pavement in the apparently unprovoked attack outside a pizza shop on Point Nepean Road about 1am on Monday.
He was flown to The Alfred Hospital in a critical condition but in the late afternoon a hospital spokesman confirmed he had died from his injuries.
Homicide squad detective sergeant Sol Solomon said the attack was "very aggressive, hostile and violent".
Police said they were reviewing CCTV footage of the incident and it is only a matter of time before the men involved are identified.
Police say the Templestowe man was with five friends, all aged in their 20s, near the Encore Pizza Shop at about 1am, when his group was approached by five men.
Detective Inspector John Potter said it is believed the five men then started acting aggressively before attacking the Templestowe man's group.
Detective Inspector Potter said the assault was over in minutes and appeared to be an unprovoked attack.
He said the five men fled from the scene after the incident.
A 23-year-old from Warranwood was also taken to Frankston hospital with a suspected broken jaw. He was later discharged.
Police are reviewing CCTV footage believed to have captured the incident.
“If anyone is involved in this they should go to their local police station; it is only a matter of time before we identify who is involved,” Detective Inspector John Potter said.
Police are also seeking the drivers of two cars that drove past minutes after the incident.
A white, two door-hatch, security patrol car with roof lights drove by minutes after the assault and a white-coloured Toyota tradesman's van with roof-racks stopped and occupants briefly talked to the victim's group.
He urged anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Encore Pizza Shop owner Troy Meyer said he was surprised and disturbed by the incident.
“You don't expect violence to happen on anyone's doorstep, least of all your own,” he said.
Mr Meyer said the neighbouring cafe's owners had washed blood from the concrete outside his shop on Monday morning.
He said two of his staff left the shop at 12.30 am Monday but did not see anything.
Mr Cassai's death comes after a string of violent incidents during the holiday period, including a double stabbing in Footscray on Saturday night.
A 15-year-old boy was stabbed multiple times by a gang of people in the car park of a McDonald's restaurant, and minutes earlier 16-year-old boy was stabbed to the abdomen and wrist during a confrontation nearby with a group of males outside a house in Gordon Street about 10.40pm.
Earlier this month two men were allegedly stabbed in an early morning brawl in Ballarat. Both men were taken to hospital.
On December 9, three police officers were allegedly bashed during a fight involving more than 30 people outside a Preston pub.
While not referring directly to any one case, Melbourne Lord Mayor Robert Doyle said on Monday, when asked his message for 2013, "lets keep each other safe".
"If there's one thing that's worried me about this past year, it's been that resurgence in violence in our city," Cr Doyle said.
"I don't think there's a city in the world that's fixed that problem yet but I just hate to see it in our city, whether they're random acts of violence, or concerted attacks, it doesn't matter. There's just no place for it in our city.
"I would like this year to be the year when we said we all have zero tolerance for violence against women, against young people, against older people, against anybody.
"This should be a year when we actually say, the rest of us that the law abiding majority who love our city aren't going to put up with the idiots and the louts and the criminals.
"And my wish would be for a safe city in 2013."
"I hate being negative about our city, this is one of great city of world and most livable but these random acts of violence and particularly acts of violence against towards women are just not us and we've got to find ways of fixing that, whether it's [from those in] positions of elected power, people in the street, or our armed and capable Victoria Police.
"We can't arrest our way out of these problems, it's a problem for us all and violence is something we should not put up with in our city."