CCTV: do you recognise this sex attacker?
Police have pieced together CCTV from three sexual assaults in inner Melbourne since November and they believe the same man is responsible for them all.PT1M10S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-316b2 620 349 January 21, 2014
A sex predator who appears to circle Melbourne’s CBD looking for victims is believed to be behind three attacks on women in as many months.
The most recent attack was the first time the man has used a weapon and an escalation on earlier assaults.
A 22-year-old was attacked in a building stairwell around 6am on Saturday after a man dragged her away from walking to Southern Cross Station.
A sex predator who appears to circle Melbourne’s CBD looking for victims is believed to be behind three attacks on women in as many months. Photo: Supplied
The victim, who had just finished work, was walking on Flinders Lane when the man approached her from behind.
Armed with a knife, he grabbed her neck, told her to be quiet, and “frog marched” her west along Flinders Lane, right into Spencer Street and then left into Collins Street.
Covering a substantial distance, they walked past Southern Cross Station and into a stairwell at 700 Collins Street, where he sexually assaulted her for about 20 minutes.
Police believe he then headed north towards La Trobe Street.
Detective Inspector Paul Binyon, from the Sexual Crime Squad, said an alarming pattern had emerged when police tracked the man’s movements around the city using footage captured on CCTV cameras.
“We have information to suggest he was in the city area for some time before 6am. We have other vision that shows him circling the city looking, we think, for victims to target,” he said.
“We are concerned this offender is behaving like a predator, we’re concerned there has been an escalation in the violence.
“In the first couple of incidences the attacks, while violent, were more of an attempt to try and commit serious sexual assaults, in this last offence unfortunately he has been able to commit full contact offending against the victim.”
It is believed the man also stalked three young females from Flinders Street to Southern Cross station before assaulting the 22-year-old on Saturday.
He followed each of the victims into the female toilets but the women locked themselves in toilet cubicles and called police before the man fled from the station.
After reviewing footage of the incidents taken from closed circuit television, detectives believe the man may also be responsible for two other serious sexual assaults in South Melbourne and the CBD in November and December last year.
Detectives believe the same man may be responsible for an attack on a 24-year-old woman at a Kings Way car dealership in South Melbourne early on December 7 and on a 22-year-old woman on Bourke Street in the early hours of November 9.
The man is described as Asian or South American in appearance, aged in his late teens to mid 20s, and with a slim build. He is believed to be about 165 centimetres tall. He has spoken with an accent that could be South American.
Police also want to speak to another man who is shown talking to the offender on CCTV on November 9 outside a licensed premises at Melbourne Central.
“We think there is somebody out there in this community who is able to identify this male and provide us with a matching name and enable us to arrest this person and bring them before the courts quickly before this escalates any further,” Inspector Binyon said.
“We need to stop this man.”
Inspector Binyon said police have thrown resources at identifying the man and maintaining a presence on the street, but encouraged young women to walk in groups around the city.
Anyone with information is asked to phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.