License article

Taxi crushes tourist at Melbourne Airport

A man has been crushed between two cars and another has suffered head and shoulder injuries in a horror smash between a taxi and a van at Melbourne Airport.

Emergency services were called to the international departure terminal on Airside Road just before 4am on Wednesday after reports that a cab driver, believed to be on his second shift, had hit two pedestrians who were loading luggage into a van.

It is understood one of the men was part of a group of seven Indonesian tourists who had just arrived in the country. The man, in his 30s, was helping load baggage when the 34-year-old Brunswick cab driver allegedly got his foot stuck between pedals and accidentally accelerated, trapping the tourist by the legs between the two vehicles.

The driver is expected to be charged on summons with driving-related offences. A witness told Channel Nine that the driver asked him for directions and admitted he was on his second shift.

Ambulance Victoria spokesman Paul Bentley said two advanced life support ambulances, an intensive care ambulance and a paramedic team arrived to find the man crushed between two cars.

Advanced life support paramedic Adam Chirico said it “appeared the man was crushed between that car and a car in front”.


“He was stabilised at the scene [before] being taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital in a critical condition,” Mr Chirico said.

The Royal Melbourne Hospital has confirmed he is in a serious but stable condition.

The other man, aged in his 40s and believed to be the driver of the van, was also taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital with head and shoulder injuries. He is in a stable condition.

Senior Sergeant Shayne Kerley said the men were lucky to be alive.

“The injuries were quite horrific, [and] we're very fortunate someone didn't lose their life.”

The incident caused traffic chaos for hours in and around the airport, with the drop-off departure terminal re-opening at about 8.15am, Melbourne Airport spokeswoman Anna Gillett said.

Detectives from the Major Collision Investigation Unit are investigating the collision. The taxi driver is helping them with their inquiries.

Anyone who has any information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.