The scene of the tragic accident.

The scene of the tragic accident. Photo: Nine News

A Victorian truck driver charged over the deaths of four family members in a fiery collision at Catani has appeared in court.

Defence counsel for Jobandeep Gill, 27, of Noble Park, made no application for bail during a brief appearance in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Sunday morning.

Gill's lawyer Abdullah Altintop told the court that the accused had voluntarily surrendered his passport.

Police examine the truck involved.

Police examine the truck involved. Photo: Joe Armao

International media has reported that the trucking sub-contractor of Indian origin has been charged over four deaths.

Mr Altintop said Gill, who appeared in court with a bandaged right wrist, could seek bail later this week.

"We are meeting with counsel tomorrow (Monday). We do not have a lot of information relating to the charges, except for the charge sheets."

The charges brought before court allege that Gill drove in a manner that was dangerous to the public and caused four deaths. The charge sheet also alleges that Gill drove "through a stop sign at a speed that placed Samuel Beckett in danger of death".

Gill, who was driving an Asixa freight truck loaded with tyres, was charged at his bedside in hospital on Friday night with four counts of culpable driving causing death, four counts of dangerous driving causing death, one count of reckless conduct endangering life and one count of failing to stop at a stop sign. He had been under police guard with minor injuries.

Police allege that Gill was driving in Caldermeade Road when he failed to obey a stop sign at the intersection with Heads Road, and failed to give way to a vehicle entering the intersection.

Magistrate Alan Spillane adjourned the case until March 6.

The Beckett family were driving to drop off two of their children at Koo Wee Rup Primary School, and take a their youngest son for a check up at Dandenong Hospital, when a truck collided with their sedan on Friday morning.

Mother Jade, 33, father Stephen, 37, and their children, Ella, 6, and William, two, were killed.

Sam Beckett, aged nine, was the sole survivor in the car.

He was pulled from the wreckage by farmer Ken McLeod seconds before the vehicle erupted in flames.

Sam was discharged from the Royal Melbourne Hospital on Saturday night.