The damage at the government-owned house in Wilson has been estimated at $52,000. All photos courtesy WA Department of Housing. Click for more photos

Public housing trashed in Perth suburb of Wilson

The damage at the government-owned house in Wilson has been estimated at $52,000. All photos courtesy WA Department of Housing.

  • The damage at the government-owned house in Wilson has been estimated at $52,000. All photos courtesy WA Department of Housing.
  • The damage at the government-owned house in Wilson has been estimated at $52,000. All photos courtesy WA Department of Housing.
  • The damage at the government-owned house in Wilson has been estimated at $52,000. All photos courtesy WA Department of Housing.
  • The damage at the government-owned house in Wilson has been estimated at $52,000. All photos courtesy WA Department of Housing.
  • The damage at the government-owned house in Wilson has been estimated at $52,000. All photos courtesy WA Department of Housing.
  • The damage at the government-owned house in Wilson has been estimated at $52,000. All photos courtesy WA Department of Housing.
  • The damage at the government-owned house in Wilson has been estimated at $52,000. All photos courtesy WA Department of Housing.
  • The damage at the government-owned house in Wilson has been estimated at $52,000. All photos courtesy WA Department of Housing.
  • The damage at the government-owned house in Wilson has been estimated at $52,000. All photos courtesy WA Department of Housing.

A woman and her six children have camped across from the West Australian parliament in protest of the family being denied public housing.

Robin Stratton said the family were forced to move out of their Wilson public housing property in November - and stay in tents in various friends' backyards - after their tenancy agreement came to an end.

We worked really hard with this family to keep them in a house. 

"The Department of Housing simply didn't want to renew my tenancy after 30-odd years of being in a tenancy," she told 6PR radio on Wednesday.

"They just didn't give no reason. I know that I haven't been a model tenant. I've had my ups and downs.

"I was under the understanding we were doing alright. We were on a Strong Families program.

"I just don't know where we went wrong."

She did concede there was rubbish in the backyard, and holes in doors, but said others had broken into the property after it was vacated.

Department of Housing spokesman Steve Parry said the family was put on a fixed-term tenancy after they had problems - rent arrears, property standards, overcrowding and disruptive behaviour - at 10 government-owned houses over 25 years.

He said the effective eviction from the Wilson property, where the family had incurred a $52,000 tenant liability on top of outstanding debt of $27,000, was "absolutely" justified.

Mr Parry also said 19 neighbours had lodged 47 complaints.

The department didn't want to make children homeless but neighbours deserved peace and quiet, he said.

"We worked really hard with this family to keep them in a house," he said.

"We only ask tenants to abide by three rules: look after the house, get on with the neighbours and pay your rent.

"We considered the decision to evict very seriously.

"Enough is enough."

Mrs Stratton said she would try to stay in the tent opposite parliament for as long as possible, but had already been asked to leave the Crown land.

On Wednesday afternoon, Mrs Stratton said she was forced to leave her camp temporarily as one of her children was distraught.  She vowed to return at 4pm today.

- with Narelle Towie