Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Video will begin in 5 seconds.

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Methanol cocktail "accidental"

Chemical expert says bar owners who served Liam Davies with the cocktail that killed him, may not have known it was laced with methanol.

PT2M2S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-2ccrn 620 349

The WA head of the Australian Medical Association has called for people who sell drinks laced with methanol to be held accountable for their deadly results.

Speaking after the death of Perth teenager Liam Davies, who was poisoned after drinking a methanol-laced cocktail in Indonesia, Dr Richard Choong also said the government needed to do more about warning young people of the dangers of the drink.

Liam Davies, 19, was urgently flown to Perth in a critical condition last Thursday after falling ill on the Island of Lombok while celebrating the New Year.

Liam Davies is fighting for his life after suffering methanol poisoning in Lombok.

Liam Davies died after suffering methanol poisoning in Lombok.

His death is the latest case of methanol poisoning in Indonesia after a 2011 poisoning of a Perth-Based rugby union player Michael Denton who died in Bali after consuming local-brew "arak".

Dr Richard Choong WA president of the AMA said on Sunday that methanol is a poison that is banned to sell for consumption in most countries and he called for the incident to be fully investigated so people would be held accountable.

"We really need to call on the Australian Federal Police to find out how did he take this and what did he drink and who is responsible."

"We need to have answers about this," Dr Choong said.

Mr Choong said that the government was not doing enough to educate the public and it should take more proactive action to warn travellers against the dangers of home-brewed and spiked alcohol in Indonesia.

"There has been an increase in the number of cases reported in the media over the last few years. The government is not doing anything."

"The government should be informing people of WA, how many people need to die and be significantly harmed while they're on holiday before the government say this is actually a problem?".

"Things I’d like to see is having something helpful for people to read in the seat pocket of the airplanes or an educational video."

Mr Davies' family did not want further details to be released, but had said on Friday that he had consumed the poisoned drink while celebrating the New Year with friends at a local bar.

"Liam had been celebrating New Year with his mates at a local bar in Lombok, after which he became ill," the family statement released on Friday said.

"We would like to make people aware of the risks associated with consuming locally brewed drinks where you cannot be certain of the quality."

Speaking on Saturday Premier Colin Barnett said people should take care while visiting Indonesia as it is still a developing nation and there are risks involved.

"I would urge West Australians to take care when travelling to Bali or indeed any other part of south-east Asia."

"Bali is a safe place to go to and tens of thousands of West Australians go there every year and have wonderful holidays.

"But I do say particularly to younger people in going out to clubs and bars, be very careful perhaps if you're buying alcohol buy it in the bottle contained variety.

"If you're taking missing-drinks there are some unscrupulous operators out there who are obviously putting methanol and other substances in drinks."