WA News

Mosman Park house fire causes $6 million damage

Firefighters say that a $6 million house fire was caused by a bundle of rags which burst into flames.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Fire and Emergency Services said investigators had concluded that the blaze at the Wellington Street property was caused by spontaneous combustion.

The Mosman fire that caused $6 million damage.
The Mosman fire that caused $6 million damage. Photo: Nine News

The fire destroyed the two-storey house leaving a damage bill estimated at around $6 million.

The family home was being renovated and was only two weeks away from being handed over to its owners.

The gutted mansion after the fire was extinguished.
The gutted mansion after the fire was extinguished. Photo: Supplied

Builder Dave Walling, from Mosman Bay Construction, said he got a phone call around 2am on Saturday saying the house was on fire.

"We got down here and saw that there was not much the firefighters could do to save the property," he told Seven News. "All they could do was to put the fire out."


The building company has been renovating the property for about four months.

"The owner was down here this morning," Mr Walling said.

"He's taken the news pretty well actually because it could have been worse. They could have moved in in two weeks time and then the fire could have broken out.

"We are thankful that no-one was in the house.".

He estimated that the building was worth around $6 million, and the land around $9 million.

There was no power on at the house when the fire started.

twitter Follow WAtoday on Twitter @WAtoday