A Safety Bay woman is lucky to be alive after she survived a deadly snake bite that caused massive internal bleeding.
Janice Taylor told Nine News she remembered feeling a sharp sting on her toe as she walked outside the Safety Bay Bowling Club last week.
At the time she thought she may have been bitten by an insect.
"It felt like a sharp prick. I actually thought that a spider had got me, or a bee," she said.
But a short time later she collapsed and was rushed to Rockingham Hospital.
"My head was spinning, I couldn't move my legs," she said.
Doctors didn't know what was wrong and thought at first Ms Taylor had a heart problem. But they then noticed she was showing signs of internal bleeding throughout her body, most noticeably on her face and head.
When they realised Ms Taylor had been bitten on the toe earlier in the day, they started treating her for a snakebite but thought the treatment would come too late.
"Around 5am they asked me, 'do you want us to call your kids or anyone, because we don't know if you'll be talking in 20 minutes'," she said.
Doctors treated her with anti-venom for a bite from a brown snake, considered the second most venomous snake in the world.
"She had very dramatic signs of bleeding into the face and scalp and she is very lucky to have survived," Dr Michael Gannon, of the Australian Medical Association (WA) said.
- Adrian Beattie
Follow WAtoday on Twitter @WAtoday