Boston bombers planned New York attack
RAW VISION: New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg says the suspects in Boston Marathon bombing had intended to attack New York City next.PT0M42S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-2ii34 620 349 April 26, 2013
The two men suspected of carrying out last week's deadly Boston Marathon bombing planned to drive to New York and set off additional explosives in Times Square, New York City officials say.
Their plan unravelled only when they realised that a Mercedes sports-utility vehicle they had hijacked on April 18 three days after the bombing did not have enough gasoline for the journey, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.
He said investigators learned of this plan while questioning the surviving suspect, 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, in his hospital bed in Boston. He has been recovering from his wounds there since being captured on Friday night after an all-day manhunt that shut down much of Boston.
On the run ... the Boston Marathon bombing suspects reportedly planned a New York attack.
"Questioning of Dzhokhar revealed that he and his brother decided spontaneously on Times Square as a target," Kelly said at a news conference with Mayor Michael Bloomberg. "They would drive to Times Square that same night.
"That plan, however, fell apart when they realised that the vehicle that they hijacked was low on gas and ordered the driver to stop at a nearby gas station.
At the time, the men still had six explosive devices, including a pressure-cooker bomb of the type used at the marathon and six pipe bombs, Kelly said.
When they stopped to fill up the vehicle, the driver of the car escaped. He alerted authorities and sparked a massive late-night car chase across the university town of Cambridge, where police said the brothers shot dead a Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus police officer.
Earlier on April 18, the FBI identified the ethnic Chechen brothers as suspects in the marathon finish line bombing that killed three people and injured 264 others, releasing pictures and video of them at the scene.
The chase ended in an extended gun battle in suburban Watertown in which the suspects threw improvised explosives at police. The older suspect, 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was shot and died of his wounds.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was captured the next night in Watertown, hiding in a boat parked in the backyard of a house. Tsarnaev was formally charged on Monday in the hospital with crimes that could carry the death penalty.
His lawyer, Miriam Conrad, declined to comment on Thursday on whether her client was still talking with investigators. He is recovering from gunshot wounds in Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Centre.
The US Marshals Service, which is responsible for holding and transporting suspects outside of prison, declined to comment on whether or when he might be moved from the hospital.