Bungling Pistorius detective Botha quits
Dumped ... investigating officer Hilton Botha. Photo: Reuters
JOHANNESBURG: Hilton Botha, the detective who bungled investigations into the case against Paralympian star sprinter Oscar Pistorius has quit the force, South African police say.
"He resigned yesterday," police spokesman Neville Malila said on Thursday, with Mr Botha later denying that his decision was sparked by the Pistorius case.
Mr Botha was one of the force's most experienced detectives with a 22-year career as a policeman.
But his fall from grace was swift.
During Mr Pistorius's bail hearing last month over the Valentine's Day killing of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, Mr Botha's evidence was repeatedly picked apart by the defence.
He admitted in court the investigation "could have been handled better", conceding he may have contaminated the crime scene and his team had failed to spot a bullet lodged in the toilet.
It then emerged he was facing charges of attempted murder for shooting at a minibus in 2011.
He was promptly replaced as the chief investigator in the Pistorius case by the country's top detective.
Mr Botha said his resignation isn't linked to the case against Mr Pistorius, and he's quitting to take up a better paying job.
Mr Botha told South Africa's Jacaranda FM he was looking for another job with a better pay for a long time, and has found one that's going to make him able to pay his son's university for next year.