Father claims gunman's bodyMatt Williams, New York
Published: January 1 2013 - 11:39AM
The body of Adam Lanza, who killed 20 children and six adults at a Connecticut elementary school, has been claimed by his father, a spokesman for the family said.
The remains of Lanza - who took his own life after going on an armed rampage at Sandy Hook elementary school in Newtown on December 14 - were reportedly removed from a funeral home some days ago to be transported to an undisclosed burial site.
Earlier this month, a private funeral took place for Nancy Lanza, the gunman’s mother and the first of his 27 victims.
She was killed in bed at the home she shared with her son. The 20-year-old gunman, armed with weapons legally purchased by his mother, including an assault rifle, then travelled to the nearby Sandy Hook school.
Peter Lanza, who was divorced from Nancy Lanza and lived at a separate location in Connecticut, claimed his son’s body at some point over the past few days. A family spokesman did not say what plans the family might have for a funeral service.
Authorities have yet to offer a motive for the killings.
On Sunday, US President Barack Obama said he hoped to get new legislation on gun controls through Congress by the end of 2013.
Shortly after the Newtown massacre he assigned Vice-President Joe Biden to lead a task force looking at new legislation.
‘‘I’d like to get it done in the first year. I will put forward a very specific proposal based on the recommendations that Joe Biden’s task force is putting together as we speak. And so this is not something that I will be putting off,’’ he told NBC’s Meet the Press.
This story was found at: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/content/adaptive/canberratimes/world/father-claims-gunmans-body-20121231-2c3gu.html