Nigella 'barred' from entering US
UK chef Nigella Lawson's admitted drug use is rumoured to be behind her being stopped from boarding a flight to Los Angeles last weekend.PT0M0S 620 349
London: Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson has reportedly been barred from entering the US following her courtroom admission that she had taken cocaine, raising questions on Thursday over her successful TV career in the US.
The 54-year-old said last year she had taken cocaine about seven times but was not addicted as she gave evidence in the trial of two former personal assistants who were later cleared of fraud.
But British police have said they would take no further action against her.
British chef Nigella Lawson has reportedly stopped from boarding a plane to the US. Photo: AFP
Lawson's publicists declined to comment but, if confirmed, the incident could complicate her starring role in US cooking talent show The Taste, months after her bitter and public divorce from Charles Saatchi.
The Daily Mail said Lawson had arrived at Heathrow's Terminal Five on Sunday to catch a flight to Los Angeles but, after checking in and passing security, she was told she could not board the plane.
It was unclear why Lawson was barred from the US, given she has travelled there since she admitted in December to using cocaine.
The US has strict immigration laws regarding those with convictions or who have been arrested but officials can also exclude those who have admitted to illegal acts even though they have not been punished by the law.
Lawson, known for the sensual manner in which she samples food, said she had used cocaine with her late husband John Diamond when he learnt his cancer was terminal and later during a difficult time in her relationship with Saatchi.
The high-profile art dealer was photographed with one of his hands around Lawson's throat before their divorce, while she accused him of "acts of intimate terrorism" during the trial of her personal assistants.