Pistorius discusses restarting training
Oscar Pistorius in court. He may resume training "in the days to come". Photo: Reuters
Star athlete Oscar Pistorius has met South African probation officers and discussed conditions to restart training as he awaits trial for the murder of his girlfriend, a prisons spokesman says.
The sprinter met authorities at the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Monday to discuss the terms of his release on bail, which was granted last Friday after more than a week in custody.
Prosecutors charge that Pistorius intentionally shot dead 29-year-old model and law graduate Reeva Steenkamp at his upmarket Pretoria home in the early hours of Valentine's Day in a case that has shocked the crime-plagued nation and the world.
The Olympic and Paralympic sprinter denies the charge, insisting he repeatedly shot at Steenkamp through a locked bathroom door in the dead of night having mistaken her for a burglar.
His training may resume "in the days to come", said correctional services spokesman James Smalberger, adding the venue and times "will still be finalised".
"We requested his coach to provide us with the training program so we can fit it into the conditions."
The 26-year-old champion Paralympian was released on 1 million rand ($A110,000) bail last week, and ordered to return to court in June.
The sprinter does not need to report to authorities, but will be subjected to unannounced visits and has to inform officials of his movements.
"He will not be required to report to correctional services. We will rather visit him at his residence or if he is at training we might even pop in there to see whether he's there," said Mr Smalberger.
"He will be visited at least four times a month," he added.
Earlier reports said Pistorius had to report Mondays and Fridays to Pretoria's Brooklyn police station – where a large contingent of local and international media waited in vain to catch a glimpse of him on Monday.