The botched restoration of a church fresco by an elderly parishioner brought it international fame - and a fortune from tourists. Now, the town of Borja is at the centre of a fresh controversy.
The parish priest in charge of the church where the Ecce Homo draws hundreds of visitors each week was arrested on Friday for allegedly pocketing church funds of about €210,000 ($310,000).
Florencio Garces, 70, was detained by Guardia Civil on suspicion of misappropriating funds, of money laundering and sexual abuse.
The arrest has stirred emotion in a town that leapt into the public eye last year after elderly resident and local artist Celia Gimenez, 83, attempted to restore a 100-year-old fresco of Christ, with dire but highly amusing results.
Her amateur restoration efforts transformed the Ecce Homo - which means "Behold the Man" - into a laughing stock and the before and after images spread quickly across social networking sites.
The new icon, which quickly became known as "Ecce Mono" for its likeness to a monkey, brought an unlikely windfall for the town in Aragon and drew some 70,000 tourists within the first year, bringing much-needed custom for local businesses.
Church authorities began charging a €1 entrance fee to those wishing to view the painting, funds that were destined for a local charitable care home with 60 residents.
Garces was released without bail after appearing before an investigating magistrate in Tarazona on Sunday and an investigation opened into the alleged crimes. Five other people were arrested on related charges.
Police said they could not disclose whether the alleged crimes were directly connected to entrance fees collected at the Sanctuary of Mercy Church, the home of the disfigured fresco.
Residents of the town, which has a population of 5000, expressed shock at the allegations and defended their priest. Gimenez said: "We haven't been told the details of the allegations, but as far as I know he is a lovely man who has cared for this community for more than 20 years."