Algeria oil hostages reported dead after air strike
Reports suggest hostages at an Algerian oil plant, have escaped, while others have been killed in an air strike by Algerian forces.PT1M29S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-2cwvs 620 349 January 18, 2013
PARIS: Deep in the Algerian desert, special forces lay in wait encircling a vast gas facility where dozens of foreign workers and hundreds of Algerians had been held captive for more than 24 hours.
The Islamist militant hostage-takers were feared to have booby-trapped the complex, placed mines at its exterior or made its captives wear belts carrying explosives.
The military-dominated Algerian regime, still in the shadow of its brutal 10-year civil war and faced with a return to major operations on its home turf, had a difficult choice: storm the facility and risk casualties or wait it out as the crisis intensified. Algiers refused to negotiate with what it termed the ''terrorists''.
The In Amenas gas field. Algerian troops surrounded Islamists holding foreign hostages at the gas field. Photo: AFP
By midday Thursday, the Algerian special forces launched a military operation at the site. The regime said there had been deaths among the hostages, while Algerian sources told Reuters that 25 foreign hostages had escaped and six were killed. However, the tone of statements from London and Washington on Thursday led to fears that casualty numbers could rise dramatically. Algeria's official news service said 600 local Algerian workers had been freed. Dublin confirmed that a 36-year-old Irish worker, Stephen McFaul, from west Belfast, was unhurt.
It was unclear how the rescue offensive began. Islamists with the Masked Brigade inside the facility, who had been speaking by phone through a Mauritanian news outlet, said the Algerians opened fire as some militants tried to leave the vast In Amenas complex with their hostages. They claimed that 35 hostages and 15 militants died and seven hostages survived when Algerian helicopters targeted their convoy, an assertion that could not immediately be verified.
The Mauritanian news agency that had spoken regularly to the hostage-takers - who had made demands including calls for French troops to leave Mali and for the release of Islamists in Algerian jails - said communications had stopped at about 5pm.
A still from a video obtained by a Mauritanian news agency reportedly shows jihadist Mokhtar Belmokhtar speaking at an undisclosed location. Photo: AFP
Abdelkader, 53, an Algerian employed at the facility who escaped, said the militants had indicated they would not harm Muslims but would kill western hostages they called ''Christians and infidels''. He said they appeared to have a good inside knowledge of the layout of the complex and used the language of radical Islam.
''The terrorists told us at the very start that they would not hurt Muslims but were only interested in the Christians and infidels,'' Abdelkader told Reuters from his home in the nearby town of In Amenas. '''We will kill them', they said. I am still choked, and stressed.'' He said he feared many of his foreign colleagues may have died. ''The terrorists seemed to know the base very well. Moving around, showing that they knew where they were going.''
Another Algerian who escaped told a French TV channel by telephone that the militants were ''well-dressed'', spoke Arabic and appeared to be from north Africa or the Maghreb. It was the biggest and most dramatic foreign hostage-taking raid seen in Algeria or the Sahel, where the lawless desert has long been notorious for kidnap raids. It was also a meticulous, unprecedented strike at Algeria's economic heart; the southern energy complexes, never before hit by a terrorist raid, are the lifeblood of the oil- and gas-rich state which exports large quantities to the US and Europe.
Norway Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg ... was not informed. Photo: AFP
The jihadists who lay in wait outside the In Amenas gas field in the early hours of Wednesday morning were either very lucky with their timing or extremely well-informed.
About 20 of the militants had arrived on three pick-up trucks at a time when there appears to have been more than double the usual number of foreign contractors at the remote desert site. They struck at 5am, just as the gates of the living quarters were swung open and a bus emerged, taking a group of westerners to the In Amenas airport, about 32 kilometres away. The workers stayed in their barracks under police guard, leaving only to travel the three kilometres of sealed road between their trailers and tents and the gas pumping station.
The gas field, run by the Algerian state firm, Sonatrach, BP and Norway's Statoil, produces nine billion cubic metres of natural gas a year, a 10th of Algeria's total production, representing a mainstay of the nation's income. The attackers opened fire first on the bus carrying foreign workers but its escort of police and private security guards fought back. One British worker was killed in the exchange along with an Algerian guard, the government said.
Abu al-Baraa ... reported to have been killed in the raid. Photo: AFP
Two Britons, a Norwegian and three other guards were injured, but the bus escaped, taking the wounded to the hospital in In Amenas, a small border town of 5000 people.
At the gas field, the attackers turned their focus on the workers' camp, storming in from two directions, said one hostage who gave an account to French television. In an operation that had all the signs of being planned well in advance, they rounded up their hostages, isolating foreigners from Algerians, lay down explosives and called the press.
A worker originally from France told a journalist from France 24 TV stationhe was with Britons, Japanese, Filipinos and Malaysians and the attackers had made some hostages wear belts of explosives. It was not possible to verify whether his testimony was made under duress. There were at least 150 Algerian workers present on the site employed by the French catering group CIS. One Algerian worker who spoke to the Maghreb Emergent website by phone said: ''There are around 300 of us. It's the foreigners that interest them.''
Some foreigners managed to call their families. A Norwegian woman told the Bergens Tidende newspaper that her husband, 55, had called her saying he had been taken hostage.
A spokesman for the militants, said to have spoken by phone from the gas complex with the Mauritanian news agency, threatened to ''eliminate'' the hostages if Algerian forces attacked.
Early in the siege, one hostage, identified as British, was quoted calling for negotiations to ''spare any loss of life''. By day's end, the Algerian military claimed the operation was over. Western governments were left scrambling to confirm the fate of their nationals.
Guardian News & Media