Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Video will begin in 5 seconds.

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Rolf Harris faces further abuse charges

Veteran Australian entertainer Rolf Harris is facing three new sexual assault charges in additional to the 13 he was charged with in August.

PT0M59S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-2ztz9 620 349

Australian entertainer Rolf Harris is facing three additional sex assault charges involving two new alleged victims, one aged ''seven or eight'' at the time.

The additional counts mean Harris, 83, is now accused of assaulting four victims dating back to the late 1960s. He is facing 16 separate charges in total.

''Rolf Harris is to be prosecuted over a further three allegations of indecent assault,'' the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said in a statement on Sunday.

Rolf Harris arrives at Westminster Magistrates Court, to face sex offence charges, in London in September 2013.

Rolf Harris arrives at Westminster Magistrates Court, to face sex offence charges, in London in September 2013. Photo: Reuters

''The alleged offences relate to one existing complainant and two new complainants.''

Harris was already facing six counts of indecently assaulting a 15-year-old girl in 1980 and 1981 and three charges of indecent assault of a girl aged 14 in 1986.

He was also charged previously with four counts of making indecent images of a child in the first half of last year.

The additional counts revealed on Sunday include one offence of indecent assault ''relating to a girl aged seven or eight in 1968 or 1969'', the CPS said.

The artist and singer is also accused of indecently assaulting a girl aged 14 in 1975 and indecently assaulting a woman aged 19 in 1984.

The additional counts were included in the original police file sent to prosecutors in August. But it was only after a ''review process'' that the CPS decided the allegations should be formally added to the indictment against Harris.

Prosecutors say because evidence relating to the further counts has already been served on the court and the defence, Harris will not appear again at a magistrates court. Rather, he will appear before Southwark Crown Court on January 14 as previously scheduled for a plea and case management hearing.

Harris has not commented on the allegations since he was first named in the press in April.

He appeared in Westminster Magistrates Court in September in his only court appearance to date.

His lawyer indicated the entertainer would plead not guilty.

For the offences committed after 1985, Harris could face up to 10 years' jail. The Australian is on conditional bail under which he is banned from having contact with anyone under 18 unless he is accompanied by someone over the age of 21.