Rolf Harris rearrested over 'further allegations'
Australian entertainer Rolf Harris made a rare public appearance Sunday then faced up to a police station Monday to answer bail over his rearrest.PT1M18S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-2rarm 620 349 August 6, 2013
Embattled entertainer Rolf Harris has been rearrested and bailed again in England following "further allegations" of historical sex abuse, according to reports.
Harris was named earlier this year as the Australian entertainer arrested in late March by officers from Operation Yewtree which was established following the Jimmy Savile scandal. However, police have refused to confirm that Harris is the man who has been rearrested.
He has returned on bail today where he was further arrested on suspicion of sexual offences.
The Sun newspaper was the first to report that Harris was the Australian entertainer arrested back in March.
Rearrested: Rolf Harris. Photo: Supplied
The 83-year-old was bailed until May and then again until early August "pending further inquiries".
On Monday, police said new allegations against a man, widely reported as Harris, had come to light.
"He has returned on bail today where he was further arrested on suspicion of sexual offences in connection with further allegations made to Operation Yewtree," the Metropolitan Police said in a statement on Monday.
"He has been rebailed to a date later in August."
The MET stated: "We are not prepared to discuss further, nor comment on the identity of who the man arrested may be."
While police have never named Harris, he has widely been identified in the mainstream media as the Berkshire man involved.
Harris made a rare public appearance on Sunday night ahead of visiting a police station to answer bail on Monday.
The Australian singer-songwriter became emotional on stage when thanking fans for their support at the Wickham Festival in Hampshire.
The 83-year-old was clearly emotional in the face of the cheering crowd and stumbled over his words.
"Just before I go any further, I would just like to thank you all for my support ... for your support," Harris said on Sunday night.
"I didn't say it very well, but you know what I mean. Thank you for your support, I will always wear it."
Harris, first questioned in November 2012, has still not been charged and denies any wrongdoing.
UK police officers earlier this year travelled to Australia to interview two women about sex abuse allegations.
Operation Yewtree was established after a TV documentary aired allegations that former BBC disc jockey Savile, who died in 2011 aged 84, sexually abused countless children.
The Met on Monday said Harris "falls under the strand of the investigation we have termed 'others"'.
That means his arrest is not connected to the specific allegations against Savile.